Audio Output

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Joaquin, Dec 31, 2014.

1. Joaquin

Joaquin New Member

Hi, I just received my quad version and let me tell you it is very fast and I feel familiar with the linux environment.

My question is related to, Analog Audio Output (the green jack) is not working, if I connect the Udoo through HDMI audio play wells on the TV but Audio Output (headphones, Aux to stereo, etc) never works. How do I switch from HDMI output to Analog(jack) audio output.

In Raspberry pi I used to do as it:

Code:
    amixer cset numid=3 1
    I will really appreciate you help.

Best Regards.

2. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

Try to change the audio settings in UDOObuntu. Then it should work.

3. starsword

starsword New Member

How do you change it?

4. fetcher

fetcher Member

Unlike with the Pi, where a single audio device is toggled between analog and digital(HDMI), on Udoo the various sound outputs are independent channels, as on a PC with multiple sound-cards installed. So you could have separate audio playing back simultaneously on analog, HDMI, and SP-DIF, but do have to point your audio player software at the correct one.

Try 'aplay -l' to list the available PCM outputs, and look for "vt1613" which is the analog-out. Mine looks like this,
    Code:
    **** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    card 0: imxspdif [imx-spdif], device 0: IMX SPDIF mxc-spdif-0 []
      Subdevices: 1/1
      Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
    card 1: imxhdmisoc [imx-hdmi-soc], device 0: IMX HDMI TX mxc-hdmi-soc-0 []
    card 2: vt1613audio [vt1613-audio], device 0: HiFi vt1613-0 []

But I've patched the kernel to add SP-DIF and make it the first/default one (channel 0), so yours will be different. Say your vt1613 comes up second (channel 1, after 0)... you could specify, for example:

Code:
    mplayer -ao alsa:device=hw=1.0  videofile.avi

mpg123 -a hw:1,0 -r 48000  audiofile.mp3

Specifying sample rate is necessary for mpg123 because the vt1613 analog-output supports only 48kHz, not 44.1kHz or other rates (I think the Pi is the same way)-- most player apps are smart enough to notice this and do the necessary resampling, but mpg123 will instead play 44.1k files back with incorrect tempo and pitch, sort of a mild chipmunk effect.

Mixer outputs might have to be turned up first, using alsamixer or amixer (e.g. 'amixer -qc1 sset Master 74%; amixer -qc1 sset PCM 74%' assuming it's device #1).

If you want this output (#1) to be the default in all ALSA apps without having to always specify it, try dropping this into /etc/asound.conf --

Code:
    pcm.!default {
        type plug
        slave.pcm "hw:1,0"
    }

I'm not sure about Pulseaudio or other audio drivers you might be using besides plain ALSA. Those would have their own config files to edit.

Hmm, I thought I remembered the vt1613 being audio device #0 (first one), at least on a stock Udoo Debian kernel, but if this were the case your sound should be going there by default. Maybe Udoobuntu switches them around? Anyway, 'aplay -l' should tell

5. starsword

starsword New Member

Thank,
    It says

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
    xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
    card 0: vt1613audio [vt1613-audio], device 0: HiFi vt1613-0 []
    card 1: imxhdmisoc [imx-hdmi-soc], device 0: IMX HDMI TX mxc-hdmi-soc-0 []

I was able to play music by setting it to 0 :D but it is still weird how it isn't default
    I found changing /usr/share/alsa/pulse-alsa.conf worked :D thanks