Available RAM to Arduino IDE

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by francescomm, Dec 19, 2013.

1. francescomm

francescomm Member

Hi, this is not a serious problem, but if anybody has a solution...

I am on Linaro 12, I have installed:

node (not launched by default, just installed)
    PHP+apache+MySQL bundle (launched at startup)
    VNC

I run the UDOO mostly headless (no monitor) via VNC, but while if I login locally I see Gnome, when I launch a VNC session I get Unity so maybe Unity and Gnome consume memory together.

So this is the problem: sometimes I get out of memory.

now that I have the webserver installed, if I have one or two programs open (one terminal+ one Chromium, often just Chromium is enough) and I launch the Arduino IDE I get exceptions for memory exausted and can't compile.

Should I create a swap file or some other way to have memory more flexible? Should I find a way to make VNC use Gnome instead of Unity? (this is for the next post..)

Thanks,

UDOO rocks!

2. EBrown

EBrown New Member

3. francescomm

francescomm Member

Thanks, I removed Unity. Will let all you know if memory is not an issue anymore.

4. francescomm

francescomm Member

Without Unity the system is more responsive and "feels" lighter, but still if I have a browser, a terminal, a text editor (gedit) and the Arduino IDE open at the same time, the IDE *may* sometimes complain (unable to allocate..) at compile time, and block compiling. Closing the browser and recompiling solves it, but it's a bit of a pain if you're copying examples/tutorials/help from the web. A swapfile is possible?

5. EBrown

EBrown New Member

You probably could. It should be just shrinking the FAT32 partition and creating a SWAP partition with GParted.

Thanks,
    EBrown