Basic overview

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Julius Hamilton, Aug 2, 2021.

1. Julius Hamilton

Julius Hamilton New Member

I just bought a Raspberry Pi 4 with 8GB RAM and I was surprised that it wasn't as fast as I thought it would. I believe it is because the CPU of the Pi is not very powerful and I have read it is not particularly amenable to being upgraded. For this reason I have started to look for a different single board computer altogether, and got a recommendation to Udoo.

How much faster and more powerful is Udoo than a Raspberry Pi 4?
    Are there any other top of the line motherboards to know about from other brands?
    Can the Udoo be used just like a Pi, in that all I will need to connect is a display, power source, SD card and keyboard?

Thanks very much.

2. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

I would estimate that the UDOO x86 is something like 2-3 times faster in practice than a Pi4. The UDOO Bolt is probably something like 5-7 times faster than the x86.

Both of the UDOO boards come without any RAM or built in storage so you need to budget for both of those, a SD card is not sufficient for storage.

3. Julius Hamilton

Thanks very much for your response.

How does the whole UDOO ecosystem compare to Raspberry Pi? Is it used for roughly the same applications? Or is it used for something more particular, industrial for example?

Thanks very much,
    Julius

4. Julius Hamilton

I am thinking about buying the UDOO. How do you recommend we set up a basic functioning kit? Should we get RAM and storage from a local electronics store? Or can we purchase a complete starter package from UDOO?

Thanks very much.

5. Julius Hamilton

Sorry, one last question.
    How does the UDOO compare to just a new standard computer in terms of speed? For example, a MacBook Pro.
    Thanks very much.