Best option to remote control as media player

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by francescomm, May 4, 2017.

1. francescomm

francescomm Member

I am using Windows10 at the moment, (has Ubuntu, planning to test Android).
    I'm wondering what is the best way to use the x86 from the couch.
    I am thinking to some "AirMouse", but as those have keyboards and mouse functionality + some infrared functions, I would like to know if there is some official, or unofficially supported, or known working option.
    What is the best suggested multiplatform UDOO x86 remote?

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

3. francescomm

francescomm Member

That would mean that when I am out of home nobody can use the box anymore. I could sacrifice an old phone, but then I would have to charge it every day or so to watch movies from the sofa. Yes I could install software on any phone of any component of the family, but I'd still prefer to have a shared remote.

I really want something that is as easy as a traditional TV remote, but has some mouse functionality to use advanced programs, it should run with the x86 running Win10 (but possibly other platforms too). Not necessarilly running Kodi at startup. HDMI CEC is welcome but I don't think it can totally control the mouse (am I wrong?). The controller ideally should let me both run the Netflix App or other apps at startup, and then control them.

An "AirMouse" is the best choice for me, but I would like to know the official UDOO point of view on the matter. And if some models are better, or some specs are to be considered, for the UDOO. I guess they tested the x86 as a media player and have used some setup doing so. The IR receiver on the UDOO is there for some reason.

An "AirMouse" is this kind of stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Rii-Multifun...r=1-1-spons&keywords=wireless+air+mouse&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Key...1493905996&sr=1-5&keywords=wireless+air+mouse

As a developer, I would also consider a bonus if the Arduino part of the UDOO and the IR port become in some way involved in the setup (I imagine the Arduino receiving signal from the IR port and switching off/on the x86), but, for the moment, just having a remote for watching movies is the basic need...

Bonus points if the keyboard can handle EscEscEsc already at boot so I can change boot drive in the BIOS from the sofa :)

Last edited: May 4, 2017
  4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

I don't think Udoo team has an official opinion on this subject. Nice would be a working IR interface so a Kodi or other Media player could react on the IR signals. Nicer would be a working HDMI CEC so you can use the TV remote through the HDMI cable.

If the air mouse (or any other type of remote) is working on a normal PC it will also work on the Udoo X86. It will be a matter of remote device manufacturers to arrange the support (by drivers) on a normal PC X86 architecture in whatever OS..

5. francescomm

francescomm Member

Well they have tested for sure and maybe even plan on selling one (I would!).

That would be nice for sure (but I doubt you can launch the Netflix App or a browser or launch KODI using HDMI CEC alone or the IR interface).

Most air mice work for sure on any PC as standard keyboard and mouse, that is granted, so the Ux86 makes no difference. What could be different is that many have programmable IR keys than can be used for something (like switching on the UDOO...), an IR transmitter (separate from the 2.4GHz), many "advanced" keys (Home, Menu)... they may have other options the Ux86 may take advantage of. Or not. "The right way to setup a remote" might be a tutorial, some day

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

HDMI CEC with remote control is working for sure. I can control my CEC enabled Mediastation (Philips) with the remote of my Samsung TV (through CEC, not IR).

The only difference between the Udoo X86 and a normal PC (with regards to Mediaplayer functions) is the infrared IR sensor. So only that part could be documented.

Another thing is that the Udoo X86 like all other Udoo devices is not designed as a Mediaplayer but as a device for monitoring and controlling other hardware devices like sensors, motors, actuators etc. Not that it cannot act as one but it is not what is was designed for. I see that Udoo team is concentrating in IoT monitoring and controlling so I would expect that the Arduino part in combination with Braswell (and IR sensor) will get more focus.

7. francescomm

francescomm Member

Well, the introductory video on the Kickstarter campaign started with the media player functionalities (and did mention CEC too, if I remember)... but yes it sure has all the UDOOosity of the other boards (I also have a Quad too).