Best way to attach multiple disks

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by onek, May 30, 2016.

1. onek

onek New Member

Hey there,

I backed the UDOO X86 performance edition and am really looking forward to it.
    I am planning to replace my cubietruck (1 HDD (2.5"), disk a) and my HTPC (4 HDDs (3,5"), disk b .. e) with it.

OS (Debian, most likely) will be installed to eMMC.

Now, there is one SATA port and three USB3.0 ports.

Since disk a is holding my music library I want it to be fast, it will be attached to the SATA port then.
    The big drives b to e, holding backup and movie library, will be attached to one USB3.0 ports with a HUB (I will provide a 12V PSU) since they don't need to be as fast I guess.

The USB3.0 specs are 625MB/s bandwith. Is the calculation 625MB/s / 4 = 156MB/s somehow realistic so I will be getting at least ~50MB/s of R/W on them? Would they benefit from being attached to two USB slots instead of one?

What do you guys think of this? Am I missing something, is there a better way?

Thanks for your input,
    onek

2. ektor5

ektor5 Administrator Staff Member

Hi there,
    Seems a really big build! But you'll unlikely use all the 4 contemporaneously, and I doubt that a hub would permit that either way. So in case, if you predict to use more than one in the same time, it's better to use 2 hubs.
    Unfortunately the only SATA port miss the multi-SATA capability, so you can easily go with this solution.

Have fun,
    Ek5

3. onek

onek New Member

Thanks for your input.
    You are right, most likely only one disk will be r/w'd. Anyways, there are two data and two backup disks. I'll hook up a data and a backup disk to each hub then.

Bandwith wise will be very much ok then. Now I only have to figure out how to put 4 disks and the UDOO on a wooden plate nicely... :)

Andrea Rovai likes this.