BIOS 1.04 problem

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by paul cowen, Oct 30, 2018.

1. paul cowen

paul cowen New Member

I've just updated to 1.04 and now can't get into the Front Page. Just keeps saying there's no bootable device! anyone have this problem and now how to solve? Can't install OS until I can get to the BIOS...?

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

What was your bootable OS and drive before you updated the firmware?
    If I understand you correctly, you are now trying to install a fresh operating system, but you are unable to enter the firmware?
    If you create a UEFI install media on a USB flash drive, it should discover it during boot.

3. paul cowen

paul cowen New Member

I was trying to use a Win10 Enterprise flash drive which I previously used to install on a MinnowBoard Turbot, which went fine... I will redo the Win10 image and maybe try other OS as well. Might even dig out the old DVD drive! I was just confused that the usual Front Page bit seems to have disappeared. I'll let you know how I get on.

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

You should be able to enter the firmware. You just need to be quick to repeatedly press the escape key promptly when powering the board on.

5. paul cowen

paul cowen New Member

Yep. Got that working again but can't get any Win10 images to run even the DVD drive does nothing! I can get DOS to work but I think it may be that the M2 I've installed is NVMe and these are not supported on the UDOO x86 boards I believe? So it won't boot from Win10 install as there's no where for it to go...

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

7. paul cowen

paul cowen New Member

yeah, I think it's the fact there's nowhere for the OS to install to. I've tried a number of different Win10 installs none work on the x86 board but work on other boards, but Win10 will not work usefully on an SD card, tried that; disk write at 100% almost constantly! Thanks for your help I'll just have to look at other M.2 SSDs.

8. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

NVMe is not recognized in UEFI/BIOS booting stage (probably for future BIOS update considerations), that is why you won't be able to install Windows on NVMe and boot from there. On the other hand, NVMe drive is recognized after Win OS boot (the OS has the NVMe driver.)
    See my thread on that experiment https://www.udoo.org/forum/threads/some-experiment-on-nvme.20418/

There is a potential but ugly work around by using a mini OS (say boot from a USB flash drive) to kick start the PC (as if it's a pseudo BIOS), then jump into the NVMe SSD to continue the Windows boot process. See
    https://audiocricket.com/2016/12/31/booting-samsung-sm961-on-asus-p6t-se-mainboard/

ccs_hello