Black Screen/No Boot after Ubuntu 16.04 installation

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Udootopia, Jan 3, 2018.

1. Udootopia

Udootopia New Member

Hi there,
    i own a X86 Ultra, that i have purchased shortly. I have connected it with a 2.5 HDD via SATA. When i install Ubuntu and reboot after successfull installation, i see as usual the udoo logo and then there comes simply nothing. I reinstalled Ubuntu one more time with a different iso. Then after install it worked for the first launch, but then again same thing. I have tried 32bit and 64bit versions. No difference. I am using a Phillips Flatscreen Monitor with HDMI cable and the EU Power Supply from Udoo. I have already seen in some older threads people having the same problem, but nowhere there is a solution.

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

What if you try another monitor? Any TV with hdmi will do. Also try another hdmi cable. Second, did you install the intel driver set? You have to do that extra on top of the normal Ubuntu installation.

3. Udootopia

Udootopia New Member

I tried several hdmi monitors and several hdmi cables, also i tried the minidp, but always the same. how should i install the intel driver set when i dont even get to the os ? Honestly, i am very dissapointed about Udoo. This should not be for a product on the market !

4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

If you press ESC, ESC, ESC during the boot process can you get into the uefi? What is there in the boot manager? Do you see the SATA disks?

Is it really booting into the OS you installed? Can you ping the Udoo if you connect it to your network with a cable?

5. Udootopia

Udootopia New Member

Yes, i get into the uefi. What you can see in the boot manager is:
    20180105_173300.jpg
    I guess the ST4000 is my 4 TB HDD where i installed ubuntu.How can i ping the udoo ?

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You can lookup in the DHCP status page of your network router if it has received an IP address. No need to ping then if it has an IP it is booted correctly.

Then you also can go through the following Ubuntu troubleshoot list: https://askubuntu.com/questions/162...black-screen-what-options-do-i-have-to-fix-it

My Udoo has no issues with Ubuntu so it has no use to blaim Udoo. If it boots from a Ubuntu live usb it should be able to boot from the HDD. Perhaps the HDD consumes too much power? Did you check the specs?

7. Udootopia

Udootopia New Member

Where can i check the specs for HDD power consumption ?

8. Udootopia

Udootopia New Member

[​IMG]that is the SATA connected HDD (2.5'')

9. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

In the specs :) but the specs of the Udoo does not mention a max power consumption. The 5V power rail can supply 4A. That should be enough but it is not clear to me how much other components on the Udoo use 5V. I suspect the usb ports too.

You better focus on if the Udoo really boots , fix display problems if it does. If it does not boot, find out why. You can check the Ubuntu fora for more information.