Bluetooth Keyboards do not connect (either HID or SPP)

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by frudman, Apr 30, 2014.

1. frudman

frudman Member

I have tried with different bluetooth adapter (including the cirago bta7300 adapter) and different keyboards (including the made-for-android toshiba wireless android-optimized, model pa3959u-1etb) and nothing works.

All keyboards pair with all adapters but none work as hardware keyboards (e.g. for browser input). It's as if they're not connected (even when they're paired).

To test for problems, I downloaded and installed the BlueInput.apk from http://www.teksoftco.com (version 2.2.225).

This gave me a little more info: it paired properly as before but then said that the device (meaning UDOO) did not support HID (human interface device profile) but could support SPP (Serial Port Profile) but it's not clear why (A) HID would not be supported since it's the basic means to connect all keyboards [is it turned off in UDOO/Android? is there a driver to load for it?] or (B) How to turn SPP on (nothing in settings that I could find).

So, going back to a previous question, what are we missing/doing wrong that we're not able to connect basic keyboards (which connect easily to other computers (mac, windows, iphone).

Is bluetooth supported on udoo or not?

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Which OS image are you running? That would help track it down some...

3. frudman

frudman Member

Sorry, thought this was the Android forum. I should have added: I'm working with the straight binary download of Android 4.3 from your binaries download page. Unmodified.

Also, while I'm at it, I just found out there may be known incompatibilities with the base Android 4.3 and most (all?) bluetooth keyboards (something about unsupported HID profiles). I'm still researching this but the incompatibility seems to have been introduced in the 4.2 branch and later (maybe even only in 4,3).

1) Can you confirm this? [and specifically with the udoo-board mods: have you any BT keyboard working with your board?]
    2) Do you have earlier Android images available (e.g. 4.1, 4.2) for download (or rebuild) on your site. I only see the 4.3 image but I note many posts from 4.2.2 so I'm hoping those (and earlier images) are still available somewhere.

Still researching this but when I went through your Udoo source code for Android 4.3 I did notice the HID classes seemed (?) to have been included with the base Bluetooth stack (which is no longer BlueZ but for which I noticed you may still have BlueZ stubs in the code: it's a lot of code so not sure if they're the stubs or if you replaced the "new" Bluedroid stack (Broadcomm based?) back to BlueZ. I ask (and could you please confirm) because from what I found so far, the keyboard problems seem to stem from a switch from the BlueZ stack (which works well with current keyboard) to the Broadcomm-based stack (which seems to allow for pairing of keyboards but not actual usage (i.e. keys are not passed through the stack)).

The info on the larger Internet is all over the place about this problem and the many fixes we tried failed. There is a place that shows how to switch the stack back to BlueZ but it's for Android 4.2.2 and we don't know enough about your board yet (or your udoo-specific codebase) to know if this would work with the 4.3 source (also, we have yet to succeed in rebuilding the image from your source: our limited knowledge of Ubuntu).

Any additional info would help.
    Thanks.
    Freddy.

4. atif ali khan

atif ali khan New Member

If your keyword doesn't work on the grounds that the corrupt or missing hid keyboard device driver, utilize your mouse to get to Device Manager. The means are distinctive relying upon the framework your PC is running.
    Open Device Manager > Type devmgmt.msc and click the OK button > Right click on the HID Keyboard Device > Update driver software > Search automatically for updated driver software.You need to wait to complete process.