Bluetooth Low Energy?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by corzand, Feb 16, 2014.

1. corzand

corzand New Member

Hi everyone!
    I'm Andrea, an italian IT student and i discovered UDOO only a few days ago... great job!
    I'm really interested in this project, and i'm considering to get UDOO for a project that i have in mind, but first i need your help and (hopefully!) answers about some questions.

Well, the topic is about compatibility with Bluetooth 4.0 standard, in particular Bluetooth Low Energy.
    I read about a dongle made for UDOO that should be BLE capable, is it shipped with UDOO? If not, where i can buy it?
    Second question: Android 4.2 is not supporting Bluetooth Low Energy, google added this feature in version 4.3+. Is there some Android update plan?
    Third question: i'm really a Linux-noob, sorry if the question is not well-formed. Is bluetooth low energy supported on Linaro?

The goal is to have communication between android/ios devices (or "generic" beacons) and the UDOO platform.. and then do some stuff with the Arduino side :)

Thank you very much in advance!

Andrea

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Don't know about the one that was shipped with the kickstarter orders as to whether it's LE or not (assume it is).

However, the kits as they are sold now from Udoo do not come with the BT USB dongle. You'll need to buy another one. In general it should work with any USB Bluetooth dongle that is supported by Linux (but don't hold me to that given the different chipsets and such out there...) Worst case, order one and try it. You should be able to find a USB BT module for <$10 these days online.

3. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

The Bluetooth Dongle (no BLE) was just for the Kickstarter backers, we don't sell it in our shop, sorry.

We're currently not working to release the 4.3 version but we'll certainly do it in the future

Can't help you about the Linaro support. As mkopack said you should order one and try it.

4. corzand

corzand New Member

Okay,
    thank you guys for the fast reply.
    I think i will try to find some tip about BLE dongles and linux OS somewhere, and then order one and try.

However, is there anyone who got a working use case for BLE communication in UDOO?

Thanks