Bolt I2C in Ubuntu

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Liam Fruzyna, Mar 27, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Liam Fruzyna

Liam Fruzyna New Member

I'm running Ubuntu 22.04 and looking to use the embedded controller pinout, but having no luck. After installing i2c-tools I can detect 9 I2C buses, 3 SMBus PIIX4 adapters and 6 AMDGPU buses. With the i2cdetect command, i2c-0 picks up some devices with nothing connected so I assume that is some kind of on board I2C; i2c-1 and i2c-2 do not pick up any devices. I assumed those correlated with I2C1 and I2C2 on the pinout, but I fail to detect any devices and when I connect an oscilloscope I see no activity.

Next I tried using the EAPI_Test program included in the EAPI libraries. The -ic command appeared to show that the EAPI_ID_I2C_EXTERNAL and EAPI_ID_I2C_LVDS_1 buses were available, but I was also unable to see any activity on the oscilloscope while trying various commands.

Is there anything I am missing to enable/use I2C?

2. stephenrudder

stephenrudder UDOOer

After installing i2c-tools you detect multiple buses, but have issues detecting devices. You have also tried using the EAPI_Test program but haven't seen any activity. To enable I2C, ensure proper connections, proper pin configuration and check if kernel modules or device tree settings are required.