Can we have a list of priorities and projected dates for NEO?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by JackSilb, Nov 13, 2015.

1. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi Andrea any progress on this? It has been a while.

Anybody able to program the M4 using wireless direct from an Arduino IDE running on a PC Windows, Mac, or Linux? That is, not using a USB cable connected to it, not programming the M4 from the Udoo NEO sloooooow Linux, not saving the compiled file and uploading it.

Like a virtual serial port that shows on the remote PC Arduino (Windows, Mac, Linux).

Thank you,
    Jack

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

@JackSilb this isn't working for you? It is not a virtual port that is independent of the connection type, you have to edit it manually, but it should work.

As with the USB connection it is not reliable but I suppose that has more to do with the internal serial connection with the A9/M4. I feel when that is solved a lot of other issues are solved too.

And that serial connection also hampers because of the M4 incompatibilities with Arduino causing issues on the M4.

So it is all related and needs to be solved.

3. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi Waltervl,

I appreciate your reply.
    I know I will probably find it soon after I reply to you. I am on the road with an Ubuntu16.04 machine. I did a search yesterday before I replied to the Thread and today again before this note, I am looking for the path you sent, butcan't find.
    I can find some platform.txt files but no IP address there to change.
    :eek:(

I have my Neo with me to play a bit from the hotel when I need a break from work. I am trying to make the WiFi M4 programming to work, as you probably can guess.
    I know it can work because I can use the Neo Web interface to upload the examples and use the WebIDE too.

Let continue search after during coffee.
    I am glad someone made it work.

I wonder if a virtual port will ever come to the Arduino IDE.

Thank you!
    -Jack

Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  4. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Found it when I booted Windows 10. Let me give it a try and get back here.

Still would be very nice if the Udoo team can do something about it since the Udoo Web Interface works well uploading the example codes.
    No, I don't fell lazy just thinking about the Makers and my students that don't want to hack looking for the network IP of Neo then having to go modify the file.

I know I said that here and there.
    If the Udoo Team focus making Neo "the best Arduino" out there because it includes some "shields" already then Linux is a plus for IoT that would get a long way to bring more people over.
    If you add the cost of the WiFi / BlueTooth and the sensors already on Neo its price is good comparing to a regular Arduino board.

But first the "best Arduino" has to work as an Arduino and be easy to use for the large population just not savvy people that wants to hack hardware to have basic functionality working.

I confess I have gave-up on Neo while back, once in a while I come back to the Forum to see how it is going. It is a nice board I can take while I am traveling to try some coding vs. bringing a Linux + Arduino.

Thank you again,
    -Jack

5. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Using Windows 10 it worked!

Thank you!
    -Jack

waltervl likes this.
  6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

7. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

I see. Thanks. Almost same discussion but posted after we started this but after my follow-up question huh.

Anyhow, anyone knows how to change the IP address trick in Arudino for Linux (Ubuntu if that matters).
    Where is the platform.txt that has the 192.168.7.2?

Thanks,
    -Jack

8. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

The platform.txt. that has 192.168.7.2 is here:
    Here is the path:
    Code:
     /home/<user_name>/.arduino15/packages/UDOO/hardware/solox/<version_number>/platform.txt
    `<user_name>` is your User Name. `<version_number>` is the board manager package number version, can change according to changes in our repositories.
    (we are editing the documentation right now)

Xykon and JackSilb like this.
  9. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

It worked.
    Thank you Andrea,
    -Jack

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  10. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

So a coffee for @ektor5 and nothing for me? You're not fair Jack :mad:
    ('course I'm joking)

11. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

For you Amigo,
    How about a Margarita and some fresh fish tacos? Come over to the sunny side.
    -Jack
    p.s. can't offer you some gelato for dessert since you have it better

Andrea Rovai likes this.