Cannot boot on an external device [SD or USB]

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by ploplop, Apr 17, 2017.

1. ploplop

ploplop New Member

Dear community,
    I am the glad owner of a fresh UDOO x86. As I received it I wanted soo much to try it [as a first test, I wanted to try the cool graphics capabilities of the board and then, wanted to install an ``oldies'' console emulator - for which, I wanted to try Lakka]

Well, following the tutorials, I installed everything and tried to burn an ISO of my distributions at hand [namely lakka, then tried OpenELEC then udoobuntoo]. I first tried to burn them on an SD card only... at boot time nothing happened [either non bootable device message or an ever-looping blinking cursor].
    Then i thought my SD might be faulty, so I tried to burn the images on an USB stick.
    The boot messages remained the same [either non bootable device or an ever-looping blinking cursor].
    I tried to boot with USB pen plugged in with an SD card in the slot or not.
    I tried to boot using EFI or legacy boot... still the blinking cursor [black screen, with a cursor blinking]
    I tried to search in the BIOS menus, tried to tweak stuff... nothing worked.
    I then did a factory reset... still nothing...

I am really lost... do you guys have any pointers that could help me out ?
    [again, I tried many distros -especially the ones on the udoo website- but got no luck in booting in any way ...]

Thanks a lot !
    Looking forward to discover this kicking-ass board !
    Cheers !

2. ploplop

ploplop New Member

[Btw I wanted to to a BIOS update just in case... but there is no way to do this if I cannot boot on any OS, right ?
    Or is it possible ?? if so, what shall I burn on my sd/usb card/stick ? thanks a lot, cheers !]

3. Laura

Laura UDOOer

4. ploplop

ploplop New Member

Thanks for your support,
    Of course I did that... still the blinking dash... waiting for the magic to appear....

5. ploplop

ploplop New Member

[I did it on a window machine, launching the win32DiskImager in Administrator mode ofc..]

6. Laura

Laura UDOOer

7. mkopack

mkopack Member

Udoobuntu isn't going to work (assuming you're talking about the one on here: http://www.udoo.org/downloads/ ) because those are for the older ARM based Neo and Dual/Quad boards.

Have you tried just straight up Ubuntu Desktop edition x64 ??