Can't upload sketches the UDOO X86 Curie

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Trinova, Oct 19, 2017.

1. Trinova

Trinova New Member

I can't upload sketches from the Arduino IDE (1.8.4, Windows 10 x64) to the UDOO X86 Curie.
    I have installed the BIOS version 1.03 on the UDOO X86 Advanced Plus.
    In the UEFI BIOS setup, the parameter "Curie Reset on PowerON <Enabled>" is set.

During the Arduino IDE upload, the Windows Device manager shows that the COM3 port is temporairly disabled.

the Arduino IDE logging shows the following:
    ----------
    Arduino: 1.8.5 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino 101"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware -hardware C:\Users\michi\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder -tools C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr -tools C:\Users\michi\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages -built-in-libraries C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries -libraries C:\Users\michi\Documents\Arduino\libraries -fqbn=Intel:arc32:arduino_101 -vid-pid=0X8087_0X0AB6 -ide-version=10805 -build-path C:\Users\michi\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_765042 -warnings=none
    arduino101load 2.0.1 - compiled with go1.7.5
    Starting download script...
    Serial Port: COM3
    BIN FILE C:\Users\michi\AppData\Local\Temp\arduino_build_765042/Blink.ino.bin
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    Flashing is taking longer than expected
    Try pressing MASTER_RESET button
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    Waiting for device...
    ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM3
    ERROR: Timed out waiting for Arduino 101 on COM3
    ----------
    Note: See attached file for full logging.

Is there anyone out there who could help me on how to upload sketches the UDOO X86 Curie?
    Many thanks in advance!!

Attached Files:

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Arduino Curie wants to update the Bluetooth module on the Curie first which fails for some reason.
    I got it running by:
    1. Reboot Udoo X86
    2. Start Arduino IDE on Udoo X86
    3. Press Curie MASTER_RESET Button
    4. Compile and upload blink example. A notification of BLE firmware update should be shown and it continues uploading the sketch.

Now I could keep on uploading sketches if required, no more hickups

If that fails: Completely remove Arduino IDE including the Curie files in your user profile (C:\Users\michi\AppData\Local\Arduino15) and reinstall Arduino including Curie board manager.

Edit: extended the procedure for future reference

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  3. Trinova

Trinova New Member

@waltervl
    I followed the procedure you described "Completely remove Arduino IDE including the Curie files in your user profile (C:\Users\michi\AppData\Local\Arduino15) and reinstall Arduino including Curie board manager."

After reinstalling the Arduino IDE and Curie board manager, I was able to upload a sketch!!
    The logging showed the following:
    ----
    Sketch uses 48712 bytes (31%) of program storage space. Maximum is 155648 bytes.
    Starting download script...
    ATTENTION: BLE firmware is being flashed
    DO NOT DISCONNECT THE BOARD
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
    SUCCESS: Sketch will execute in about 5 seconds.

----
    The main difference with the first tests is the message: "ATTENTION: BLE firmware is being flashed"

Although I don't understand why this software re-installation did make the difference, I can progress now.
    Many thanks!

waltervl likes this.
  4. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Good to know it works.
    BLE = Bluetooth Low Energy
    For some (also for me unknown) reason this BLE firmware update fails. With me the first procedure was good enough. And sometimes the second procedure is need :)