CN6 header (SW/LED) - no HDD LED output ???

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Dave S, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Dave S

Dave S UDOOer

Hi all,

Has anyone successfully connected a HDD (activity) LED to the CN6 header?
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...000005643/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards.html

I want to see activity on my M.2 NVMe SSD drive (2280 in CN17). I connected a LED on pin 1 (HD_LED_P) and pin 3 (HD_LED_N). No output even when SSD is busy. I was expecting to see flashing when SDD is active.

I then measured the pins with an oscilliscope and again ... no output. Pin 1 stays constant high (+5v), probably as a result of the pull-up resistor in the spec / standard.

Has anyone managed to get this working? Doesn't seem the header is wired correctly?

2. Dave S

Dave S UDOOer

It's been about 2 weeks since I asked the question above. 72 views ... no reply.

Really? Has nobody tried the HDD LED connector? Surely somebody must have tried?

I just need to know if I'm doing something stupid ... or if there is indeed a layout problem on the V8 and the pins might not be wired correctly ???

Thanks in advance.

3. Jon_Smith

Jon_Smith UDOOer

4. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

What I can report is in M.2 key-B/key-M, there is a signal in pin 10: DAS.
    It is the signal for (local) disk SATA/NVMe activities.
    Whether or not, that signal is routed to the motherboard and OR'ed into UDOO Bolt's disk LED (which means on-board disk access status is combined with M.2 slot attached strage device's signal) is the UDOO Bolt's designer question.

waltervl likes this.
  5. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

Late to this but just now tried connecting my power control circuit to the CN6 header and can confirm that I am not seeing any voltage levels on pins 1/3 ever, let alone related to disc activity.

Furthermore, I implemented a yellow/green bidirectional LED for the power LED and that only shows green on powered up. In standby it should reverse the connections to show yellow but there are no volts across pins 2/4 in standby.

This has to be a hardware fault. I can see nothing in the BIOS to change behaviour, nor would I expect to. Are Bolt schematics available?

6. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

Maybe the LED pins pulse too fast to register on thge voltmeter? Also I might be wrong, but the manual mentions "HD_LED_P: Hard Disk Activity LED signal’s pull-up to +5V_RUN voltage (510Ω pull-up)" you might have to use a limiting resistor on some leds or they might not turn on at all with their current draw at 5V.

7. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

I just saw you mention you tested it with an osciloscope.

8. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

Yes, I also checked with an oscilloscope and nada. 510Ω would give an LED current of 10mA, which really should be fine for just about any LED, as, indeed, it is with the green power on LED. Hopefully someone from the design team will read this and offer an explanation. It seems rather strange that no-one else has tripped over these problems.

9. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

HDD LED is for SATA activity only.

For Yellow LED (Power LED for sleep), please try various sleep state.
    The most obvious one is to get the "S5 State" corrected.
    See my thread in this forum.

10. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

11. G3WGV

G3WGV UDOOer

That's interesting and rather surprising but thanks for the information.
    I searched on all the phrases I could think of without finding the thread so a little more information on getting the "S5 State" corrected and/or a link to the thread would be very helpful.