Configuring WI-FI from Command Line Interface (CLI)-Help

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NinjaJoe, Nov 30, 2013.

1. NinjaJoe

NinjaJoe New Member

Hi everybody, just received my dual core udoo and it was great. However can someone help me on how to set up the wifi , from the CLI ? im accessing my UDOO from serial , using putty, and would like to connect my udoo to my home wifi router.

2. NinjaJoe

NinjaJoe New Member

seriously..no one.. ? :cry:

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Not really a UDOO specific question, thousands of source out there on the web on how to configure WiFi from CLI (you don't even say which OS you are using). Google is your friend.

4. NinjaJoe

NinjaJoe New Member

5. NinjaJoe

NinjaJoe New Member

NVM, i got it working already.. below are the steps i did on how to get my Wireless working (i think), might be useful for those who has the same problem as me:

1. Connect your UDOO via wired connection (ethernet cable) and run Sudo apt-get update

2. The run sudo apt-get install wireless-tools , and let UDOO install and configure the wireless package.

3. then edit your network interface file, sudo nano /etc/network/interfaces and add the following line:

auto wlan4
    iface wlan4 inet dhcp
           wireless-essid YOUR_SSID
           wireless-key s:YOUR_WEP_KEY

YOUR_SSID: ssid of your router
    YOUR_WEP_KEY: your wireless key (string not hex)

take note this is for connecting router with WEP security code.

4. reboot your udoo (sudo reboot), remove your ethernet cable and wifi should connect automatically.

There's however some unknown mystery by using this method. After configuring VNC server and connecting udoo via VNC (wirelessly) , in Ubuntu desktop wireless network is marked with unmanaged (pic attachment) with connection missing shown, but UDOO is connected to the internet....hope someone can clarify me on this..

Attached Files:

6. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

By default the Ubuntu controls the wireless connection a different way, what you did was install another set of tools that managed the wireless outside of the normal way that Ubuntu would do it. So ubuntu sees that its unmanaged (by itself).
    Here is a full rundown of all network related setup from the CLI
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Netwo ... /Automatic

The normal way the UDOO wireless is setup is my booting up and then in the GUI, you click on the network icon and let the network manager connect you to your network. While not wrong, you circumvented this.