Connect via SSH without a router

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by alexandros301, Apr 23, 2014.

1. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

I can connect my laptop fine to my Udoo via SSH if I connect the Udoo's ethernet to the internet router (as long as my laptop is connected to the same router, of course). What if I want to connect without the router? If I connect Udoo's ethernet to my laptop's ethernet SSH won't work. I type this to the terminal
    Code:
    ssh -X debian@IP_address
    in both cases and it only works when Udoo is connected to the router.

My laptop runs on OS X 10.8.5 and I'm using the Debian hard float image from Udoo's website.
    Any suggestions?

2. peter247

peter247 New Member

odds on . if you are using the router you are getting the ip address via dhcp .
    So if you don`t use the router you need to set up the udoo and your computer to use static addressing .

3. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

Makes sense

How do I do this? Like this?
    Code:
    sudo ifconfig eth0 some_IP up
    And then, if I want to switch back to using DHCP, how do I do that?

Thanks

4. peter247

peter247 New Member

I change "/etc/network/interfaces"

use this for DHCP

auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

And this for static

auto lo eth0
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.x.x
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.y.y
    dns-nameservers 192.168.y.y

That`s with ubuntu or Debian Linux , I`m not sure how android works

5. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

thanks a lot! do I replace x and y with anything from 0 to 255?

6. peter247

peter247 New Member

YES and NO

The IP address is never 0 or 255 for the last octave, so should be 192.168.0.1 to 254 ,

This is the way to get to the outside world via the router , so it`s needed to you are setting a static address , but still using a router , but not needed to you are just connecting two computer together .

the gateway and the dns-nameservers should be set to the ip address of your router .

7. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

Took some time to try it out, but managed to connect via Ethernet, connecting the Udoo straight to my laptop, thank a lot.
    I have one more question though, I set my laptop's Ethernet IP manually to 192.168.0.109 and I had already set Udoo's IP to 192.168.0.110. I did this cause I remember from a workshop with a beagleboard I attended two years ago, the procedure was similar. We had to manually set our laptop's IP to 192.168.105.105 and the beagleboard's IP was 192.168.105.106.
    Is there some significance in all this, or can I just use DHCP in my laptop's IP if I use a static IP for Udoo?

8. peter247

peter247 New Member

Network routing can be a complex subject matter , so I will give the bit you need to know.

You are setting up what`s known as a private class C range ip address , not important , but just a fact

Which means :- The ip address you set is private and used to link up you computer within your house , but you use a public ip to connect to other people over the internet.

192.168.x.y ...

( X ) is the sub-group , so you can have a number of groups which can talk to others within there group , but are isolated from other group.
    So 192.168.1.y will talk to any member of that group , but not to 192.168.2.y without been routed . so all the computers should all be in the same group , e.g. 192.168.1.y

( Y ) No computer`s can have the same ip address , Y = 1 to 254
    Yes you can use DHCP and static address , but remember rule 1 , so make sure that static addressing is out of the range of DHCP

one other point why was you connect the udoo to the laptop via the network ? use serail and that way you are still connected to the net via the router .

9. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, what peter said. Typically when I set up my home network, I use .0.1 for the gateway (router), set up DHCP to assign addresses > 0.100 and use everything from 0.2-->0.99 for static addresses (that way they won't collide with the DHCP ones). In fact I usually also group them. So for instance, my mac mini and mac pro are on .20 and .21, my printer is on .10, Nest Thermostat on .11, the PS3, XBox360, Wii and Tivo are on .50->.53, and my Rpi's and Udoo are all in the 60's. Just makes finding things easier...