DAC signal generator possible?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Doug LaMaster, Mar 2, 2018.

1. Doug LaMaster

Doug LaMaster New Member

I've been experimenting with a project that generates a sinusoidal signal on a teensy-3.2 and reads and processes the output with a python script on a raspberry pi. It struck me that an Udoo might be able to handle all of this in a single package. I noticed that the teensy 3.2 uses a Cortex M4, which is the same as the Udoo. You can see the teensy specs right here: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/teensy31.html

The teensy uses the M4 to output a "true" analog signal. I can't find a good datasheet which specifies what type of M4 the Udoo Neo uses (eg. MK20DX256VLH7, MK20DX128VLH5, etc).

My question is the following: does the M4 used by the teensy have a DAC-capable pin. W Is the hardware for a true analog output present at all?

I understand that the UDOO can output PWM's to fake an analog signal, but that's not quite what I'm looking for. I also understand that even if the M4 has the capability of producing an analog-out signal, it might be difficult or impossible to use this capability on the udoo, but I still had to ask.

Many thanks!

2. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

There is no DAC on the imx6sx so its not possible without an external IC (something like MCP4725) attached to the M4 via I2C or SPI. The other challenge is that Arduino support on the NEO is a hit or miss affair. To really exploit the M4 you need to use the FreeRTOS SDK which has a steeper learning curve as the M4 + A9 cores share peripherals on the bus therefore the architecture is way more complicated than a teensy + rpi.