default boot to X?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DracoLlasa, Oct 16, 2013.

1. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Im very curious as to why the UDOO has a default option to boot to X without any easy way to either disable that or get out to a console.
    While i understand the UDOO is fundamentally different than a BBone or a Pi, it still seems like we should have an easy way to boot to the console and allow users to optionally start x.

These may be dual or quad core CPUs but Gnome and X in general are rather resource intensive. heck i was running 2 cores at 56% (Quad system) just having the resource monitor open.. it was using that to just draw the resource graphs.

I have lots more thoughts on this, but incase there is an easy way to do this and im making a fool of myself im going to shut up :)

FYI, so far my initial impressions have been pretty good. the LXDE seems to be customized in a rather strange way, cant right click desktop and open console, cant add items to the panel, etc, but still its nice and clean

2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Yeah, I likewise will be looking to boot up to a bare console and then only startx if needed. Hate to see 1/2 the resources on the board be sucked up by a desktop environment if you aren't actually going to be doing anything requiring it.

Should be possible to change that in the boot options though.

3. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Im sure we, as users can get the system to start to a console if we want by reconfiguring things.. i just think this should be part of the system. And hopefully as the UDOO team continues development they will add these things.

One key item is that most other comparable boards have is a dedicated config application of some sorts. This allows you to set some of the most basic core functions. I know beagle, Raspberry Pi, and PCDuino all have very similar types of setups or configuration tools.

Using the UDOO as it is, and the existing LXDE, i just get the feeling of being herded into a designed setup that is intended to suite most based on some preconceived notions of how users will be using the devices. I think it would be much better to get back to the Linux roots of "options" and carry on with what people come to expect from these small SOB style devices..

One thing that has been proven over and over each type a new company creates something revolutionary, which i think the UDOO is, is that people use the devices is ways never imagined by the creators. That is only possible if things are open and easily customizable.

4. miousername

miousername New Member

Hi DracoLlasa,

you can stop windows manager editing this file:

vim /etc/X11/default-display-manager

and comment this line:

/usr/sbin/lightdm

In this way:

#/usr/sbin/lightdm

Save with ":wq" , reboot UDOO and you prompt in a minimal login root. ;)

Username: root
    Password: ubuntu

5. mkopack

mkopack Member

Can we get that info into the Wiki, instruction manual, and sticky'ed here someplace? You can bet questions like this will come up repeatedly...

6. saidol

saidol New Member

Hi,
    the Ubuntu recommended way to disable a service automatically launched at startup is to create a file *.override in the /etc/init/ directory.
    So, because X is automatically executed at startup via lightdm service in default configuration, just execute this command:

echo 'manual' > /etc/init/lightdm.override

and X will no more started automaticcally (and you will see the login prompt on hdmi).
    To have X environment started up again after boot just remove /etc/init/lightdm.override file:

rm /etc/init/lightdm.override

This instuctions are valid for every services you don't want automatically starts at boot

Rif: http://askubuntu.com/questions/19320/re ... e-services

Giuseppe

7. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

thanks for the instructions, i will surely put them to use..
    I just hope the UDOO team takes note and takes the needed actions.. i know it's still VERY early days for the UDOO Image version so we will see how things progress.

8. miousername

miousername New Member

Right,

you can also add in the file /etc/init/lightdm.conf after this code ->

script
    if [ -n "$UPSTART_EVENTS" ]
    then
    [ ! -f /etc/X11/default-display-manager -o "$(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null)" = "/usr/bin/lightdm" -o "$(cat /etc/X11/default-display-manager 2>/dev/null)" = "/usr/sbin/lightdm" ] || { stop; exit 0; }

if [ "$RUNLEVEL" = S -o "$RUNLEVEL" = 1 ]
    then
    # Single-user mode
    plymouth quit || :
    exit 0
    fi
    fi

the following code ->

# Check kernel command-line for inhibitors, unless we are being called
    # manually
    for ARG in $(cat /proc/cmdline); do
    if [ "$ARG" = "text" ]; then
    plymouth quit || :
    stop
    exit 0
    fi
    done

And insert this arguments in your bootargs ->

text

Choose the solution that it's the best for you!