Disabling hyperthreading

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Safayet Ahmed, Mar 20, 2020.

1. Safayet Ahmed

Safayet Ahmed UDOOer

First of all, congratulations on creating a really powerful, and cost-effective maker board with plenty of I/O.

However, I need your help.

How do I disable hyper-threading on the Bolt V8?

Hardware threads share caches. Threads are indistinguishable from cores as logical processors from the perspective of the OS. SMT is good for improving common-case performance, but bad (less isolation, more interference) from perspective of timing determinism. So, I would like to disable them.

Every time I've tried to disable SMT in the BIOS, I no longer get any video output from the board. I see the warning about no S3 support so I've disable ACPI S3 states, but I still get the same problem. The board reboots and nothing is output to the display. I reset BIOS settings using the provided switch and everything gets back to normal, but SMT is still enabled.

Could you please describes the steps to disable SMT on the board so that it's still usable (video output still works)?

I understand that designing something this complex is not straightforward, and you folks have done an excellent job so far. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

2. Safayet Ahmed

Safayet Ahmed UDOOer

The latest BIOS update addresses the issue mentioned above. SMT is successfully disabled and the board functions as expected. Well done, team Udoo.

evaloverde likes this.