eMMC 64Gb upgrade?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Rick B. James, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Rick B. James

Rick B. James New Member

Hello all!
    My project consists of hacking a phone/computer together, and I chose the UDOO x86 to do it. the problem I ran into recently is when trying to find eMMC 64Gb memory modules and their required balling diagram for the UDOO x86. Can a developer or someone with extensive hardware knowledge help me in this ever long quest?
    Thank you,
    -Rick.

2. Laura

Laura UDOOer

LDighera and Rick B. James like this.
  3. Rick B. James

Rick B. James New Member

Thank you Laura!
    It seems like most manufacturers have their eMMC chips pree-balled (please excuse the term). with that in mind, could i just solder a 64Gb eMMC chip of the same make to the socket?
    thank you.

4. Laura

Laura UDOOer

I do not know if that is a possible option.

My suggestion would be to expand the storage by using the M.2 socket, on the underside of the board. This way, you will not have to solder the eMMC IC. If your project involves board quantities of multiple hundreds, there may be the possibility of having a different eMMC installed during manufacturer.

Rick B. James likes this.
  5. Rick B. James

Rick B. James New Member

I agree on your solution, but I have a setup in mind that takes the M.2-Bkey slot.
    https://techship.com/products/sierra-wireless-em7455/
    I am aware there is no data supporting this card's compatibility with the UDOO x86, I am going to try regardless.
    I would have installed my OS to the SD card slot, BUT ALAS... windows is "hard coded" for non-removable media storage. So sata? Physically too big for a phone. Emmc? I should have asked for a 64Gb upgrade apparently...
    I don't mind soldering an eMMC. What I should be asking is do I need to load anything onto the eMMC once I solder it?
    Also, this is a prototype. I will not be ordering another x86 until this setup has all the bugs ironed out.
    Thank you,
    -Rick

6. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

I believe that Windows considers eMMC also removable, so installing Windows to SD or eMMC is equally difficult.

7. Rick B. James

Rick B. James New Member

I find it hard to believe an emmc "slot" meant spicifically for OS storage physically soldered ON the Mobo is "removable", especially since windows tablets have no memory expansion slot other than SD compliant removables. With that logic, everything is removable.
    You might be addressing emmc on a usb adapter, which would change the interface and priority.
    Right?
    -Rick

8. Rick B. James

Rick B. James New Member

Okay! i got someone to solder it. now what shell command do i use to make it load the driver?