External Lipo Connector? J12 (S/P) + J25 (DC-IN)

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by Halloween, Jul 27, 2014.

1. Halloween

Halloween Member

I've read all the documents, but I can not find the information to connect an external Lipo Battery with the UDOO Board (Quad).

Can someone help me?

Is it the DC-IN Connector? Which pin is + and which pin is - ?

2. Halloween

Halloween Member

Anyone?

3. fetcher

fetcher Member

On J25, "DC In", positive is to the left (assuming you have heatsink & Arduino headers in front), next to the LED and fan headers, and closest to SATA and LCD connectors. As a further precaution against mix-ups, though, you should verify this yourself using an ohmmeter or continuity meter-- just check continuity between each pin and grounded connector shells (USB, HDMI, Ethernet etc.). The NEGATIVE J25 pin is common to ground, and positive has continuity with the center pin of that barrel jack in front -- both those DC connectors are simply bridged together in parallel, so one could be used as a pass-through output if you like. A third DC-in connection is available on the Arduino shield headers.

You should be able to connect a Lipo battery (3 cells would be best -- 10-12V range) at either position, but the Udoo doesn't contain a battery-charging controller, so that would need to be handled by external circuitry.

"S/P" is "SATA Power" -- a 5V *output* to provide power to a hard drive plugged into the SATA port next to it. Don't try to connect any sort of power source there, or you'll likely damage your board.

Check the schematics, available in this site's Download area for more details on how the power connectors are hooked up.

4. Halloween

Halloween Member

Thanks.