Fan unit not always activated when temperature raising

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by marc.d, Aug 12, 2019.

1. marc.d

marc.d New Member

Hi Udoo Bolt users,

The title says it all. I've been using the Udoo Bolt V8 over the last couple of days, and experienced that the fan kicks in very frequenly (every couple of minutes), at low temperatures already (at around 40 centigrades).

The issue is that sometimes, the fan unit is not spinning for a longer period (about 10 minutes). Checking the temperature it's going to 80-90 centigrades! Initially I power off the Bolt, and power it on again after a few minutes. But that is annoying so I sometimes spin the fan unit manually, after which the fan unit becomes activated again and the unit starts spinning and stops after that when the temperature drops below 38 centigrades.

The last time i tried this I even accidentally stopped the fan unit again, and one of the scoops even broke off!

Ok, the Bolt stll works, but the fan unit does not rotate in a balanced way anymore, and it makes even more noise that it did before :-(

I agree, i made a mistake and should never have done that ...

In any case, I would greatly appreciate the engineers getting back to me and explaining how the fan unit can be replaced, preferably by a low noise fan unit that supports PWM,

To be honest, I would love to keep this little rig up and running all the time and act as as server, but with the temperature and fan unit issues at hand, i don't think using the Bolt as a server is wise.

Thanks,

Marc

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Fan control feature in the current firmware is not tuned correctly. Will have to wait for the next release(s).

3. marc.d

marc.d New Member

Good to know, thanks for the info.

Will a fan unit be available on the store when all Bolt units are enrolled to the kickstarter supporters?

Marc

4. evaloverde

evaloverde Administrator Staff Member

Ciao Marc, the fan is designed to start at 85°C (or 82°C). It seems hot to normal human standards but to SBCs that's completely normal. The fan goes on when its temperature reaches 85°C, and it goes off when the boar is under that limit.

I'm sorry it broke. For reference, in the documentation you can find extremely detailed files of the board's fan and heatsink here and here.

I don't know for sure if the fan is going to be in the shop when the campaign's over. Next week I'll be back home and I'll tell you more about it!