flickering values from the analog pins

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by alexandros301, Jun 25, 2014.

1. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

I'm reading values from a potentiometer both with an Arduino uno and Udoo (for comparison reasons), and in the case of Udoo the values are flickering quite a lot. With a 10-bit resolution they flicker over a range of approximately ten values...that's a lot to tolerate with. With a 12-bit resolution it's even worse...
    With Arduino uno I don't have this problem as the potentiometer reading with flicker over a range of one value only.

Anyone else has the same or a similar issue? Is there any way to solve this?

2. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

I would say this could be due to a better voltage regolation in Arduino... Maybe with a better PSU (which one are you using) the problem could be gone.. BTW, are you reading those values via serial? Which baudrate?

3. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

I'm powering up the Udoo with a 12V 2A DC supply I got from the local electronics store, plugging it in the main power input.

Yes, 115200. I'm receiving the Values in Pure Data. But the same thing happens with Arduino's serial monitor.

I tried to give a 3.3V power to the potentiometer from Arduino, but didn't see great difference..

4. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

BTW, this is what I get in Pd's console when I open the serial port
    Code:
    get_baud_ratebits: 115200
    set_baudrate baudbits: 4098
    Could the baudbits create a problem?...

5. alexandros301

alexandros301 Member

I've opened a ticket for technical support for this issue and I got a reply saying that there's a difference between the UNO and UDOO as UDOO has an Arduino DUE compatible processor, which is 3.3V compliant whereas the UNO is 5V compliant and that I should consider this when building a circuit.
    So my question is, what's the circuit for a potentiometer with UDOO? And since I'm asking this, what's the circuit for shift registers, specifically the 74HC595 and 74HC165 chips...
    Thanks