Hardware MPEG4 decoding in Android

Discussion in 'Android' started by cesarvog, Aug 23, 2014.

1. cesarvog

cesarvog New Member

Hello folks,

I have just received my 15.6" touch LVDS display and was able to have it working perfectly with both Udoobuntu and Android 4.3 most recent available images. Touch seems a little wonky in Udoobuntu, but works flawlessly in Android.

I was also able to download and install the Play Store app, as per the instructions available on a different topic on this forum. Once I got the Play Store working, I thought I would give it a try "tinyCam Monitor Pro", an application that is supposed to let you view images coming from several brands of IP surveillance cameras. I downloaded and installed the app and configured it to display two of my Vivotek IP8151P cameras. I was very disappointed with the results. It doesn't matter if I set the app to use SW decoding, or HW decoding, movement in images always leave a trail behind.

If, on the other hand, I use the included browser to point to the server that records images from all my 8 cameras, I get NO trails. But, even though the server is able to decode MPEG4 RSTP images from each camera, the web server included in it is limited to displaying MJPEG push images from it's web page.

So, my question is: Does this latest Android 2.0.2 image support MPEG4 hardware decoding?

Best regards,
    Cesar

2. extream96

extream96 New Member

Hi, I did not understand well what is the problem, if you can explain better the problem I can help you better.
    However, if i have understood, if the problem is the browser installed in android, you can try to install another browser(like chrome and firefox) to the play store and do the test with one of this browser.

if you have the Android 2.0.2 , you can try to install android 4.3.

3. cesarvog

cesarvog New Member

extream96, tks for your reply.
    Udoo's Android image 2.0.2 is already based on Android 4.3 and is what I have currently on my uSD card.
    The question is wether this image supports MPEG4 (or H.264) stream decoding by the system GPU.
    Thanks for checking in.
    Cesar