HDD fails after connecting to windows

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Paul Huckstepp, May 30, 2018.

1. Paul Huckstepp

Paul Huckstepp New Member

I have a very strange issue. I purchased a 4Tb USB3 Seagate Expansion drive to use on my UDOO. I formatted it as NTFS and everything was going OK.

I removed (safely) the drive from the UDOO and connected it to my windows PC to transfer files to. After reconnecting to the UDOO it failed to boot and the drive started complaining of buffer I/O errors and async read issues. At this point nothing I did would allow the UDOO to access the drive. fdisk would hang, gparted would just sit there scanning for hours. Connect back to windows PC and it works OK.

I returned the drive to Argos and got a replacement, this time I thought I'd try an ext4 partition instead. Files transfered ok via UDOO but the drive was making some clicking noises so I connected it to my Windows PC to run a smart test on it. It passed that so I reconnected it to the UDOO - once again the drive failed to mount and returned the same Buffer I/O errors, and again the drive is now useless on the UDOO.

What is causing this? (Windows PC is Windows 10, UDOO is running Ubuntu 18.04).

2. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Do use external USB3 included power adapter for this work.
    If continue seeing the same issue, probably it's the USB3 device driver issue.

3. Paul Huckstepp

Paul Huckstepp New Member

The drives were mains powered. Oddly I have some 2.5 inch external USB 3 drives and those work ok across both computers.

4. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

It could just be the drive itself. Try a different brand. I’ve had bad luck with Seagate drives in the past. At work, we had over 800 laptops that were purchased with Seagate drives. They ALL failed within a year.

5. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Did you try running S.M.A.R.T test on Ubuntu?