HDMI issues [Official discussion]

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by andcmp, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

MKO is right, check the basics first.

Reimage the card with the very latest release (check the SHA-1 checksum to ensure it's downloaded correctly) and then do an update as per this guide

2. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Hi all,
    I don't know if it's the correct topic. I'm trying to use my hdmi->vga converter but it doesn't work with Udoo.
    The same is OK with Raspberry Pi. Any experience with this type of converter? Suggestions?
    Thanks

3. cjwilson1

cjwilson1 New Member

I have now had my UDOO quad for three weeks and have been unable to use it due to the HDMI bug.

I know there is an update coming. Is there any news on when?

Courtney

4. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

freedomotic,

we'll try to use an hdmi->vga converter as well (didn't try it yet) and will let you know.

Cheers

5. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Hi delba,
    maybe I found the problem. With the last ubuntu image 1.3 the system starts without problems (in the previous I had an hdmi error) but the monitor screen (Asus vw192s) is black with the label "out-of-range".
    I think there is a resolution problem (it supports 1440x900).
    In the serial log I found
    fbcvt:1920x1080@60 CVT Name 2.073M9
    To reduce the resolution I have to use setenv command but what's the right syntax in this case? I'd like to avoid possible boot problems.
    Thanks for support

6. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Try
    Code:
    setenv disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1440x900p60
    saveenv
    Just recently found that this will; a) try to read the screen's capabilities (the EDID bit) and if that fails will fall back to the 1440x900 setting.

You're no doubt aware of the 'printenv' command (but I put this in for others who may not be)? So you can list all the environmental variable (printenv), alter certain ones (setenv) and then save them (saveenv). As you will have interrupted the boot sequence to do all that, don't forget to restart the booting (boot).

7. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Thank you very much Lifeboat_Jim for your quick reply!
    I'm testing it in the afternoon and share the results.
    Have a nice day

8. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

I just tried your tip without success.
    First of all I must remove the "=" and substitute it with a bank space otherwise I receive an "illegal char = in .... string".
    Now the variable disp.screen0_output_mode=EDID:1440x900p60 is shown with printenv.
    in dmesg I always see
    fbcvt:1920x1080@60 CVT Name - 2.073M9

As said above I'm using a hdmi->vga converter. Can be this the problem? The same works well with raspberry.
    Also with printenv I see the variable
    setvideomode=setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1920x1080M@60,bpp=32

Maybe it's this to change nor the other.
    Thanks

9. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

change both, start off with doing it at a basic level - IE just change the numbers 1920x1080 to 1440x900 whereever it appears (might be 3 times iirc). Once you have that working then you can spread your wings.

10. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

After some testing I found that the "out-of-range" problem was caused by 1920x1080M. Substituting M with p it works.
    So now I changed only it (p for M) and added the other variable disp.screen0_output_mode.
    I see the screen but the image is greater than the monitor area so I can't access to all icons (for example in Settings).
    In console/dmseg there is a warning : imx-ipuv3 adapt panel and blank lines.
    It's a good starting point. In any case my monitor can be used. Now I'll try to adjust the screen resolution.

Another note: when udoo starts I don't view anything on the monitor until the system starts the GUI. No console messages as usual with Linux (also on raspberry). I need a serial connection to analyze the boot in real time.
    Thanks

11. andcmp

andcmp New Member

freedomotic, about your resizing issue you could try to see if your display has a setting like scan, autoscan, underscan or something similar. If so, try to switch between the option available there.

12. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Great! Progress of some sort, at least you're up and running... fine tuning now

Yes, the boot sequence is only output to the Serial Monitor currently (a limitation of the current uboot - this may change in the future though).

13. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Hi andcmp
    no scan or autoscan.
    Installing the debian version I found that the monitor resolution is set to 720x400 70 Hz. Info retrieved by LXRandr. No other options available.
    Of course I can use other resolutions with pc and raspberry. Is there a way to force the resolution?
    By u-boot setenv I can't even if I change the res in videomode. When Debian starts it set to 720x400.
    Thanks

14. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Hi made other tests with xrandr.
    It reports
    default connected 720x400 70.0*
    I tried to change it with --newmode option but I receive always "xrandr failed to get size of gamma".
    I tried also with xorg.conf in /etc/X11 adding a Virtual device under Display section but with this file LXDE doesn't start.
    I checked on RaspberryPi where xrandr reports
    default connected 1440x900
    Any ideas?

15. shivaraj

shivaraj New Member

To use Monitors with different resolutions follow these steps,

1. Connect the UDOO board to a host computer via serial cable as directed in this official guide
    http://www.udoo.org/ProjectsAndTutorials/connecting-via-serial-cable/?portfolioID=1394

2. Press any key to interrupt the boot process and enter your videomode in following command line syntax in the u-boot prompt,

setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,<xres>x<yres>[M][@<refresh>],bpp=32'
    saveenv

Here,

<xres> = Width in pixels
    <yres> = Height in pixels
    [M] = If 'M' is specified then Coordinated Video Timings (CVT) will be calculated instead of looking up the mode from a table.
    <refresh> = Refresh rate

Example:
    I use a CRT Monitor with display resolution 1024x768 at refresh rate 85Hz (I use HDMI-to-VGA adapter)

Code:
    setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1024x768M@85,bpp=32'
    save the settings
    Code:
    saveenv
    IMPORTANT:

Revert any changes made to /etc/X11/xorg.conf file to default
    or any other changes to default

For Further clarification:
    https://www.kernel.org/doc/Documentation/fb/modedb.txt

Girish likes this.
  16. andcmp

andcmp New Member

Thanks shivaraj!
    There is someone with the sizing issue that could test this and give feedback about?

17. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

18. freedomotic

freedomotic Member

Thanks shivaraj!!
    I solved my monitor problem with

Code:
    setenv setvideomode 'setenv videomode video=mxcfb0:dev=hdmi,1024x768@60,bpp=32'
    I had to remove the [M], otherwise the graphic server didn't start.

19. dnetman99

dnetman99 New Member

Is there not a way to fix this without connecting via serial? I have not received my Serial cable yet for this connection and was hoping there may be some files edits that can be done on the SD image via a linux machine. I loaded the latest 1.3 for android and ubuntu with the same black screen results on both. I also tried a HDMI to DVI into my dell monitor and it just gave me screen fuzzy but can not read anything.

Any ideas or possibilities prior to getting my serial cable?

Thanks

20. DracoLlasa

DracoLlasa UDOOer

Just for clarification, i havent followed this whole thread but i wanted to make sure you know, the serial connection to the UDOO is made using a standard micro USB cable that is common with most cell phones other like devices. you dont need a special cable to get the serial console connection to the UDOO, just a standard Micro USB cable