HDMI port instead of LVDS

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by Lt. Dan, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Lt. Dan

Lt. Dan New Member

I'm in the planning phase of a new project.

As a brief overview, i'm building a vehicle and i want to add a built in real time DAQ system to monitor and track various sensors and trends. The vehicle is from the 80's, so no tapping into an ecu. My plan was to build a little DAQ machine, then have it accessible through whatever touch screen radio i put in the truck, so i could view live data and what not while on the road. I found a radio that i like and i has MHL supported HDMI. So it has the capability of connecting to an android device, and accessing various apps on the device as if it were the devices main screen.

I've looked through a lot of these forums and it seems like the LVDS doesnt like to work well with other monitors (not sold by udoo). Is there a way, or has anyone tried, connecting straight from the HDMI port on UDOO. Bare with me if this is a dumb question. I'm a mechanical engineer, so when i see hdmi on both ends i think there must be a way to do it.

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated

2. Manfred van der Voort

Manfred van der Voort New Member

Hi Lt. Dan, your question isn't completely clear to me. If our question is wheter or not you can connect a display to UDOO by using HDMI, the genreal answer is yes. However if you expect that touch will be working, the answer is more complicated. Touch isn't part of HDMI and generally requires a seperated Touch interface which could be connected through USB and might require some tweaking of the OS depending what kind of touch you're aiming at: single touch of mutiple touch.

3. Lt. Dan

Lt. Dan New Member

I apologize if i was not clear. I want to install a JVC KW-V30BT into an old truck. This radio has the ability to connect to a smart phone (provided it supports MHL) and thereby act as a screen and input device for the smart phone. In my scenario, the place of a smart phone would be taken by a UDOO Quad (with an Android OS). I want to be able to connect a UDOO Quad to this radio and access whatever apps i build into the udoo from the radio screen. With this setup i would program the udoo to act as a DAQ machine, collecting data from various temp and pressure sources.

4. Manfred van der Voort

Manfred van der Voort New Member

Ok, so the crucial thing is the possible support of the MHL industry standard by the Android distro on UDOO. I think this question best could be anwered by an UDOO guy, or some Android expert user on the UDOO platform. My first guess on top of my mind would be: it currently isn't supported. But I'm at this time not the expert. Anyone else?

5. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

If I understood what you are talking about I'd take a look at this project, it sounds similar to the one you are working on.
    Cheers