Hello World Example Crashes on AdkManager.writeSerial()

Discussion in 'Arduino IDE' started by gaboosh, Oct 6, 2014.

1. gaboosh

gaboosh New Member

Hello,

Have been struggling with this for a number of hours:

I downloaded your UDOOAndroidADKDemoV2 example and have installed it on my UDOO Dual. I loaded both the Android and Arduino programs successfully and have followed instructions on jumper settings and OTG configuration.

When I run the program on the UDOO, it opens properly, but when I click the "TURN ON" button, the application crashes.

When I run it through the debugger, I can see that the crash occurs on line 57:

Code:
    mAdkManager.writeSerial("1");
    Which indicates to me that the Android app is not properly communicating with the Arduino.

Can you help me figure out what I'm missing?

I should add that communicating with my Arduino (1.5.x) from my Mac (10.9.5) is extremely temperamental, as well. Have to constantly switch port between tty.SLAB_USBtoUART and cu.SLAB_USBtoUART in order to avoid "No device found on [cu. or] tty.SLAB_USBtoUART" -- and even then will go stretches of 10-20 attempts without it loading the software onto the board.

Also, Serial communication between Mac and Arduino only works sometimes. Same with HardwareSerial communication between Arduino and my thermal printer.

Is something wrong with my Arduino board?

Thank you,

Gabriel

2. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Hi gaboosh,

the first time you launch an ADK application, the Android user (you) needs to give manually permission to the app to use the accessory (arduino). Your crash happens because the accessory isn't really opened.

Try not to launch the app by click as usually, be sure to close the app instance in the "recent apps" menu.

Reset the arduino by plugging the jumper J16 and if all is installed properly a dialog should appear with the request to allow the app to use the Arduino accessory.

Let me know if this work.

3. gaboosh

gaboosh New Member

Thanks for the reply. Will give this a try this evening. Would this also fix my issue communicating from my Mac to the Arduino over SLAB_USBtoUART?

4. gaboosh

gaboosh New Member

Hi,

Plugging J16 did nothing.

Gabriel

5. gaboosh

gaboosh New Member

Update:

I was able to get this to work by rebooting with J16 plugged, then unplugging once Android started back up. Thanks very much for the help.

Also, for those struggling to get the IDE on the Mac to connect: I installed Ubuntu via Parallels Desktop and was able to connect consistently from there.

Thanks again,

Gabriel

6. ekirei

ekirei Administrator

Ok gaboosh,

I saw everything is fine and I'm very glad about this. We are still working on these little details.

Thanks for your feedback.