HELP ! Uploading a sketch from UDOO to Arduino

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Jp100, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

So what is the COM PORT ?
    How does Arduino IDE running on UDOO x86 ( WIN ) pass to Arduino ?

I have a sketch , I hit upload and COM3 / 1 doesn't work. So how ? Thought Arduino IDE would route it ( a different way maybe ) but no idea ---- Does this REQUIRE a remote laptop to upload a sketch OR connection OUT of USB on x86 board to micro USB ? Is there an internal way of uploading ?

ANYONE ? I can't upload a sketch ..

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

The installation of the Arduino IDE with the 101 board manager is a delicate procedure including installing a driver. It looks like that is failing on your installation.. Please uninstall the complete Arduino installation including local libraries https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=362507.0

Then install again https://www.arduino.cc/en/guide/arduino101#toc2
    Arduino sketch uploading has to be first done by the IDE, it could also be done by the Command line interface of the IDE but for a firststart it is better to use the GUI.
    Please also read this page and it's links: https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Arduino_101_(Intel_Curie)/Getting_Started_with_Arduino_101.html

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

4. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

5. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

Please see attached image with Blink Code and COM3. Remember, I'm connecting with Windows on UDOO ( trying to upload sketch to Arduino ) W/O a USB cable. That means I'm running Windows on my UDOO and on the same Windows instance w/ Arduino IDE I'm trying to load a sketch -- All the settings look ok but here is my error msg. I remember coming across smtg about a J16 jumper but I don't think this is an issue as I'm not using a USB cable --- Below is my error MSG : ( looks like it can't connect )

Arduino: 1.8.7 (Windows Store 1.8.15.0) (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 930 bytes (2%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
    Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
    avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b
    avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x7b

This report would have more information with
    "Show verbose output during compilation"
    option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Attached Files:

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

You selected the wrong board in Arduino IDE menu Tools --> Board (Uno instead of 101).

7. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

I used Arduino/Genuino 101 and had the PUSH MASTER RESET BUTTON message and the blink program worked !!! Thanks for the help !!

waltervl likes this.
  8. Ssidener

Ssidener New Member

I’m having a terrible time getting the Arduino IDE to work with or talk to the Curie on the x86 ultra. I followed the install process carefully, when the boards manager tries to install curie boards 2.0.2 it always hangs up forever when it gets to “Installing tools (2/5)”. No errors reported, just hangs. I did the full uninstall and repeated a few times. Same issue. Has anyone seen this?

Thanks,

Scott

9. Ssidener

Ssidener New Member

Ok, please ignore my issue above, if I just wait a really long time it eventually installs.

But now I still can’t download a sketch to the Curie. So I tried the script given on the getting started page. The script is on the drive, (create_dfu_udev_rule) but when I run it, I just get: “command not found”. Does anyone know why that would happen?

Thanks!
    Scott

10. Ssidener

Ssidener New Member

By the way, I did do the chmod +x on the script and it still says command not found.

11. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

Die you do sudo which gives you the extra access rights? But on the new IDE you should not have the use the use rule command.
    On what Linux version are you on?

12. Ssidener

Ssidener New Member

Hi, I am running Ubuntu 18.04 and just downloaded and installed the latest Arduino IDE: 1.8.7
    I also used the sudo command to run the script. I can't figure out what the script cant be executed at all.

Thanks!

Scott

13. Ssidener

Ssidener New Member

The response I get from the IDE when I try to upload a sketch is: Flashing is taking longer than expected, Try pressing MASTER_RESET button. My port is /dev/ttyACM0(Arduino/Genuino 101) and my board is Arduino/Genuino 101. The get board info operation does work and the board shows up.

Scott

14. Jp100

Jp100 New Member

I'm on Windows so it maybe different but sometimes I have to push the Master reset button quick before the message disappears to push it. This works for me. Probably dangling pointers , memory mgmt issues I suspect.

15. Ssidener

Ssidener New Member

Success! I did have to run the create_dfu_udev_rule script, but running it this way failed:
    sudo create_dfu_udev_rule

I had to run it this way:
    sudo bash ./create_dfu_udev_rule

Then it actually executed.
    After that the sketch uploaded successfully. I guess my relative ignorance in command line actions in Linux were hurting me. I'm still not sure why I had to run it using bash.

Thanks!

Scott