How-To: Fan adapter cable

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by ImLagging, May 16, 2017.

1. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

For anyone like me who plans on using their UDOO x86 with a heavy CPU load, a fan will be a must. Since the officially offered fan is not currently on sale, I decided to make an adapter for a fan I had on hand. In the pictures below, you can see the fan connected and running.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are the parts that I used. I purchased them from mouser.com. The cable with the pre-crimped lead is part # 79758-0014. The 3 position small molex connector is part # 51021-0300. The 3 pin header is part # 22-23-2031. Each one is relatively cheap and easy to assemble. However, the 28AWG cable is longer then I need. The other issue is that the lead on the cable are too small to properly fit the header. So I'll most likely cut it to size then solder it to the header. However, they fit perfectly with the small molex connector.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If you look closely at the last image, the small molex has a dot on one side. That dot will face outward when looking down at the UDOO x86. The right cable (when looking at the dot) should connect to the right pin on the header (when looking at the raised back of the header). That pin on the header then connects to the Yellow cable on the fan. The middle cable is for Red. If you have a 3 pin fan, then the black will be on the left. Unfortunately, I have 3 black cables for my adapter, so it makes things a bit harder to look at without physically separating the cables.

The UDOO has settings within the BIOS that dictate when the fan will turn on and at what speed (assuming you have a 3 pin fan). If I remember correctly, the lowest CPU temp is 55 degrees before the fan will turn on. You then have 3 speed options (50%, 75% and 100%). If you have a 2 pin fan, then you'll only get 100%. If you set the speed to be under 100%, then you have a second setting for when the temp gets over a specific setting, then the fan will turn on at 100%. This will work well with either a small 30mm x 30mm fan like I have or with a larger fan like some others have mentioned using.

I did order a few extra of these parts just in case I made any mistakes. So if someone would like one and you're not handy with soldering or working with these small parts, let me know and I can send you one for a reasonable cost plus shipping. I'm not looking to get rich, just to cover my cost and time.

EDIT:

Here's the final version after I cut the wires to size and properly soldered the connections. I also added some heat shrink to protected the connections. The shorter length helps since the length of the fan cable is so long already. I could have just cut the fan connector from the fan and soldered my connector directly instead of using the header, but I like this adapter better as it allows me the freedom to switch the fan out without cutting and re-soldering.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. mkopack

mkopack Member

Nice. Thanks for the part numbers... I'll have to order those...

3. mkopack

mkopack Member

And ordered...

4. wsian

wsian New Member

BTW, how do you mount the fan on the heat sink? Is it just tighten the screw in between the gap of the heat sink fins?

5. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Yes. Just be careful to not over tighten. Once I've soldered the wires and header, I'll update the pictures.

6. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Even though parts are cheap, shipping is not - shipping is at least 20 € to Finland. :(

7. bodgyuk

bodgyuk New Member

Do Mouser have a minimum order amount to Finland that would get free shipping? To
    Australia it is A$60.

For Europe have you checked out either Konrad www.conrad.com (they are in Germany) or Reichelt www.reichelt.co.uk

8. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

If you'd like, I can make one for you and send it in a regular envelope. It may take longer, but shipping will be much cheaper. If I'm reading the post office prices properly, a first class stamp for an envelope that weighs less then 1 oz is $1.15. I just weighed the adapter I made in its current configuration and it didn't even register on my scale. I would shorten the wires and add solder, but I can't imagine it would end up being over 1 oz with the weight of the envelope added in.

I can let you know what the total weight would be in the next day or two. And I can confirm the price on Thursday.

Markus Laire likes this.
  9. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

Is this cable set compatible with the X86 fan connector? http://www.ebay.com/itm/272521449002
    20 Set Micro JST 1.25 3-Pin Male&Female Connector plug with Wires Cables US $4.96 free shipping​

10. thE_29

thE_29 Member

What I found out is, that this should be the connector name at the cable:
    MOLEX 51021- 0300
    This thing is also 1.25mm wide.. So maybe your cable will work too (I also ordered a Micro JST 1.25 3-Pin cable, but also the molex versions ;-))

On the board itself is that:
    MOLEX 53261 - 0371 (NO NEED FOR BUYING!! That is the connector ON THE UDOO!).

I should get my cables and connector this or maybe next week..

11. Markus Laire

I'd like to get one if it's not too much trouble. I got my own setup(*) working today but I'd like to also test BIOS-controlled setup.

(*) 80mm ARCTIC F8 TC fan which has built-in speed control and temperature probe so BIOS control is not needed, just connect 12 V and place probe to heatsink. (image)

12. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

Once I've got everything figured out, I'll update you.

As far as your current setup, the only critique I would offer is that the fins on the heat sink are oriented in the wrong direction for the placement of the fan. Have you seen any issues with cooling as a result of this?

13. Markus Laire

I've been testing with mprime running torture test for maximum heat and core temperatures goes up to 66 C but not higher. Fan speed reaches up to 2040 RPM but even then isn't as loud as my 3.5" HD.

Other positions for fan would likely work better, but for now this is also working well enough for me.

14. thE_29

thE_29 Member

Or use ebay. I got everything from there.. You either have very small transportation fee or none at all.

Molex # and other numbers should be a good way go find the items.

15. ImLagging

ImLagging Member

I've updated my original post with 2 additional pics now that I've properly soldered the wires.

I just checked and the envelope with the adapter is about .4 ounces. I checked with the post office and as long as it's under 1 oz, it's $1.15 to ship. If I can find some cardboard, I'll add some for strength and to prevent bending if I can keep it under 1 oz. If you're still interested, would $2.35 + $1.15 for shipping ($3.50 total) sound reasonable?

Alexander Chang and Flint like this.
  16. Markus Laire

Sounds great, I'll send you a private message.

17. SteveD

SteveD Member

I ordered similar parts from digikey, just got the crimp connectors, not precrimped cables, I got enough to make 3 sets of cables, since the parts were so cheap, overall I think it was $5.00 for US.
    I think the fan Markus posted would be the best solution for most users for simplicity, just need to make sure the probe isn't in contact with the heatsink, it was meant to measure air temperature

18. Markus Laire

I've been testing F8 TC with temperature probe touching heatsink. In normal PC it would not be powerful enough to keep heatsink within it's temperature range (fixed range: minimum RPM under 32C, then ramps up until full RPM at 38C).

But in UDOO X86 this seems to work nicely. When idle RPM is around 700 and when running torture test it goes up to 2000, so full range of fan is being used. (I'm measuring RPM with small Arduino script.)

19. Alexander Chang

Alexander Chang New Member

Does the 1.25 3-pin micro JST fit? Thanks!

20. wsian

wsian New Member

Seems that the minimum temperature to turn on the fan is at 55°C. Can the fan be turn on permanently?