How to Install complete ROS.Only see a partial installation

Discussion in 'Other OS' started by Flamenawer, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I bought Udoo for a robotics project, a very appropriate use for Udoo by their characteristics.

Due to my limited knowledge of electronics and programming, had thought that the part of arduino to program in wiring, which seems to be no problem.

The programming part of the Mx-6q, zone graphical interface data output, control of the robot .. in processing2 because it is the same language as wiring, only with core java, but I can work with all the knowledge you gain from wiring. For this is more complicated, and in principle there is already solution, but no official support Udoo.Ya time in another post I have asked support for this, because I believe that for the less advanced people, students, etc. is very useful.

On the other hand I find that because as Udoo, the most interesting to work with ROS robotics operating system, but there is no official support, and it becomes so difficult to install that I do not know how.

ROS according to my opinion should have official support Udoo, and offer it in a picture, as it does with other operating systems. There is an image of a user, but for dual Udoo.
    Elsewhere on the wiki of ROS, I see that I can install, but I need two computers with linux, and I do not have them, and also that modules that need a Lips interpreter, will not install because the core arm, there is no such interpreter.

Can anyone give me a solution for a complete version of ROS in Udoo? I would not mind having for x86 Linux + ROS, it can even be installed on a SSD, but not if this can be done.

2. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Re: How to Install complete ROS.Only see a partial installat

I'm going crazy trying to install ROS in Udo. I followed the tutorial on the wiki of ROS.
    I have had success in the installation of Ubuntu 13.04 Armhf core, and I can run it without gui / shell. I tried to install Unity with atp-get install Unity but without success.
    On this subject my first question. What shell / gui can install on Ubuntu armhf core?. I also impossible to install ROS following the tutorial, I get error "/ dev / null-Denied access". I tried to install as root with chroot / xxx, and cd / xxx, and from different profiles admin, your, sudo ... without success.
    Has anyone been able to install ROS in Udoo? .
    For when an image of Ubuntu armhf SD?.
    There is the possibility of an image for robotics with ROS + OpenCV?
    If someone has managed to install ROS, you can tell me how or upload a picture?.
    Google translator

3. Lifeboat_Jim

Lifeboat_Jim New Member

Team UDOO have already done an armhf debian, and there is also a Ubuntu with Unity 2D.

I'm not saying it will make ROS any easier but at least you don't have to worry about the OS so much.

4. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Thank you very much for answering.
    The image is not Ubuntu armhf, and I think you can not install ROS in ella.Pero I have not tried.
    Regarding debian, I'll try, and I will continue to debian x86 instructions have if we are lucky and it works.
    The truth that only pretended to follow the tutorial and install ROS, since I have not much knowledge of linux and see impossible to get it for myself.

Regards and thanks again.

5. jpatek

jpatek New Member

A few weeks ago I posted a Ubuntu 13.04 & ROS (hydro) Clonezilla image for the UDOO dual. Since several people have asked me about it, I will put the same image for the UDOO Quad on my FTP site with the image for the Dual. As I said in my last post, I don't actually have a Quad yet. I took the image for the Dual and replaced the bootloader, kernel and kernel modules for the Dual with those for the Quad. I see no reason that this shouldn't work, but I presently have no way to test it. I you'd like to Guinea Pig this (and try at your own risk, which I assume to be small), you can download it from my FTP server at:

ftp://www.hydrorobotics.com under the UDOO/Quad/ directory.

If you try it, please let me know what happens ... maybe I can help. BTW this isn't a complete install of ROS, for the reasons outlined on the ROS UDOO install page on the ROS site (some Lisp Packages for Arm missing). It works for me, but then I presently don't need any of the missing packages.

Cheers
    Jim

6. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Thank you, I am trying for a week and for me is very dificult becouse I am noob on linux. Sure, for my own risk.

I am working with ROS full on Debian, but PCL and Collada on arm6 and Cortex 9 have problem to compile for endian selection bug. This is solved, but I dont know how to use a script that is the patch. Very bad tuturial for noobs.Same problem on RPI and Pandaboard. Two solution is possible, a script, I dont know that do, and this http://rpi-hacks.blogspot.com.es/2013_0 ... chive.html
    Sorry my english, no time for write and no google translator.

Thank you very much again. I will share the info.

7. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

I have not been able of install. I dont know what is the problem,I followed a tutorial,, but clonezilla can not find the image, either zipped or unzipped it in a folder.

8. danielespitia

danielespitia New Member

Hi Jim, can you upload an Ubuntu 13.04 & ROS (hydro) Clonezilla quad image for a smaller sd memory (16Gb) please.

Thank you

9. Flamenawer

Flamenawer Member

Long time from this threat, just tell that I installed successfully Ros Indigo full in 14.04 and Kinetic full in 16.04, with opencv,pcl,rviz,gazebo....all the good stuff, enjoy.

waltervl likes this.