How to restore symbolic link /dev/ttyS0

Discussion in 'General Programming Discussion' started by Mikeee, Dec 21, 2013.

1. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

After programming with external PC the symbolic link between /dev/ttymxc3 and /dev/ttyS0 is lost. Is there a way to restore the link without rebooting Linux on the Udoo. Here is the process that I have been using to program the Arduino.

1) Connect PC to CN6 with J18 removed. (Windows 7 64 bit)

2) Upload Physical Pixel (Example program).

3) Test using Arduino IDE Monitor on PC. Sending H on serial port turns on LED. Sending L turns off LED.

4) Switch over to Udoo. PC disconnected from CN6 and J18 re-installed. ( Using the Ubuntu 12.04 Image for Udoo)

5) Try to access Arduino via IDE Monitor. No Control of LED. Also tried CuteCom to Send characters no control.

6) Reboot Udoo. Then re-establish link with ln -sf /dev/ttymxc3 /dev/ttyS0

7) Control of LED now functional with either IDE Monitor or with CuteCom.

During this trouble shooting process I also tried to upload a program using the Udoo Arduino IDE before reset of Udoo. It reported the following error. No device found on ttyS0. Which led me to start looking at what happened to the symbolic link.

Hopefully one of you people with more knowledge of Linux can come up with a way to re-establish Comm between MX6 and Arduino besides a reboot of Udoo. I have limited experience with Linux and programming.