How to underclock the Udoo Bolt?

Discussion in 'UDOO BOLT' started by Rolf, Feb 2, 2022.

1. Rolf

Rolf UDOOer

I'd like to run my Bolt as a small server, monitoring a couple of things that are not timing critical. I would like to underclock the Bolt and turn off any options that are not required for this kind of usage. For example I am not going to use the graphic capabilities of the Bolt at all.

The BIOS options are a bit overwhelming. Could anyone point me to the option where I can reduce the CPU and memory frequence and also where I can turn off as many unused components as possible?
    Is it possible to turn off the graphic 'card' component?

Thanks in advance!

-rolf

2. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

You could set the cpu and gpu to their lowest frequencies like I do
    echo powersave | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu*/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo low | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
    watching the video clocks with the radeontop it shows to lower it to 200MHz from 1100MHz Max.

3. Rolf

Rolf UDOOer

Thanks for the suggestion! This is from within the OS though, under the assumption I'm going to run a custom Linux I can and want to tinker with. Instead I'd like to run an OS I do not want to tinker with at all. I want to be able to replace the OS quickly with als little effort as possible and would therefore like to reduce power consumption using the BIOS if possible.

So any suggestions on where to tweak the BIOS still very welcome!

4. Xudonax

Xudonax UDOOer

Set the power mode in the BIOS to P2, that'll limit it to the lowest frequencies. In the same general area you should also be able to set the TDP, you can turn that down as well. Those should limit it as much as possible.

Rolf likes this.
  5. Rolf

Rolf UDOOer

Do you mean the PPC Adjustment which offers PState 0 to Pstat 2 ?

6. NickGR

NickGR UDOOer

Although through BIOS I do not think it lowers the GPU clocks, it only lowers the CPU clocks.
    As an ease of use had the commands above converted to scripts on the desktop, one for low and one for auto. And for Windows have installed a little utility called PowerPlanSwitcher and just switch both linux and windows with just the mouse at will.

As a side note, though I do not use the high setting for the GPU, found out that in auto the clocks go around 800MHz with OpenCL or gaming, while in high setting they go to 1100MHz, if there is ever a need for really maximum performance on the GPU for such things, but the temperatures might need better regulation.