I`m putting the bunny back in the box. :-)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by peter247, Jun 24, 2014.

1. peter247

peter247 New Member

I think I`m to the point of giving up on the udoo , which has so much potential ,but anything like this relies on the community and support.
    I lot of the topics on this forum are getting zero reply , and don`t bother posting a support ticket , because I won`t get a reply.
    Parts of the kernel which work by default on most other SBCs, just don`t work to the udoo.

Just looked at this a survey of the top 10 hacker single board computers which the udoo has come in 10th .
    http://linuxgizmos.com/top-10-hacker-sb ... y-results/

Will the udoo be assigned to the rubbish bin soon , when Allwinner ( used in the cubietruck / cubieboard ) bring out their 8 core arm cpu ?
    Why is the cubietruck ahead of the udoo ? , for it`s about the same cost and only a dual core with no arduino built in , ANSWER , because it`s more reliable and it works !!!!!!

2. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

Re: I`m putting the bunny back in the box.

It's only one week since I got my udoo quad and I'm already near your conclusion...

I think I didn't choose the good one : on paper it should be great but there is no real support (except some readers here) and no community, just a few posts on this forum. It's a deception :(

One solution could be to give boards to active developpers : linux arm distributions, multimedia (xbmc, ...) and embedded electronics.
    By example, Viper780 is trying to find a solution on the Openelec forum (http://openelec.tv/forum/64-installatio ... ke-on-udoo)

Nothing is too late, what do you think @udoo ?

3. peter247

peter247 New Member

That`s what they said about betamax v vhs, it`s not the best specifications which wins every time, but the support it get from its community so lets hope they get their act together soon .
    What was the best selling console of a couple of years ago ? and the only one to make a big profit, Yes the wii , which killed all to big super tech consoles , playstation , xbox , etc
    Who still owns a betamax recorder or even a vhs recorder now , that`s other than me ?

4. jaeg

jaeg Member

I also agree. I've been diving hard core into my robotic project this past week. I've got a webcam working detecting faces and the head moving to follow it. However the UDOO is just not stable enough can I keep looking for alternative boards. At this point I'm almost better off setting up communications between a Raspberry Pi and an Arduino. I was having extreme lagging issues using the latest Ubuntu beta provided by UDOO and had three instances of LeafPad open and a tab in the browser and the thing was lagging! This is with a class 10 SD card. With a stock installation I can't even keep a VNC server up with out it randomly freezing. I find myself having to fight getting the part of the system that should already work to work and not the part I should be fighting, my actual project.

This is a great disappointment since the hardware is great. However the software and lack of support holds it back. The new Radxa looks interesting.

5. dantavious

dantavious New Member

Hey,
    Thought I would add my two cents :) I was also disappointed with the previous releases of the UDOO images as they had bugs in them that defeated their best uses however, the new UDOOBuntu image is a great improvement. I currently do not have any issues with the image itself that keeps me from attempting to develop my projects. I have not experienced the lagg issuses with this image but I will attempt to see how VNC will hold up on my end. Bottom line, I would say that UDOO image is not perfect but at least they are making measurable improvements. Even the Radxa, has issues with their software as you read through the comments. I guess some things just take time.

6. jaeg

jaeg Member

Sadly my copy of UdooBuntu lags pretty badly. I have a class 10 Sandisk ultimate card and when I look at the task manager it shows that only 13% of the processor is being used at any given time (not to mention it runs a little hot)

7. delba

delba Administrator Staff Member

dantavious got the point, we released UDOObuntu (which is still in beta) to fix all the issues experienced with the previous distros. We're working in a daily basis to improve it even if we've got a pretty decent release.

8. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Guys, I understand your disappointments. That's why here @ UDOO hq we are working hard as never before to deliver a stable, fast and complete OS for you. UDOO hardware is without doubts the best available now, what we lacked so far is proper software to handle it. As I already said before, UDOO needs an higher level of committment by our side since it features 3 (and more) environment in one board (Arduino, Linux and Android). That is why the system is still in its early stage of development. But as someone of you noticed, we are now in a point where most of the work has been done and UDOOBuntu (even if in Beta stage) is delivering what you deserve.
    As for skilled devs, we're already in contact with few of them (and hired also some more people in the meantime), and they are submitting their works. I can just say that for the end of summer we'll probably have new OS supports (don't take this as granted, but some people are working on ports of FirefoxOS and ChromiumOS) and next week RC1 of UDOOBuntu.
    So, if you feel like leaving UDOO I can't honestly blaim you, just you'll be loosing the best part of it which is coming now. It takes time to address all the bugs and problems such a system implies (Rpi users know something about that...). We are at this point now, shifting to mature and stable software thanks to experience and feedbacks we collected in early stages.

For people suffering about UDOOBuntu issues: we noticed that the youtube plugin (ffmpeg-plugin-extra) is causing freezes when browsing any page, and causes general system instabilities. So we removed it (sacrificing youtube playback) in favour of general system performances. Beta2 corrects this bug. So go with Beta2 and you'll probably be fine.

9. mmeinert

mmeinert Member

+1 mikelangeloz

10. peter247

peter247 New Member

Any chance of getting a fully working kernel where if you add a nic / dvb-t adaptor it works be default OR at all .

I`ve got a cubietruck and sheevaplug / Raspberry Pi etc , but what do you need to do to get tvheadend working on it`s by default image from their web site ?

Install tvheadend and it works !!!!

What do you need to do to get tvheadend working on the udoo ? , Please tell me if you find out because I`ve tried recompiling the kernel and I still `can`t get it to work !!!

What is the definition of a Kernel , "a softer, usually edible part of a nut, seed, or fruit stone contained within its shell" , but the one I like is "the central or most important part of something"

So soon we will have , FirefoxOS , ChromiumOS , UDOOBuntu , Debian , Android , Yocto , XBMC , Archlinux , volumio , images , but a up to date mainline kernel would be nice too.

11. jaeg

jaeg Member

Do you guys have swap on in the UdooBuntu image? I've noticed noticed that it does run faster when I turn it off manually (assuming it's on otherwise I might just be crazy). That'll keep it form hitting the SD card for virtual memory.

12. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Every platform that uses IMX6 is on 3.0.35 . Just because good old stability is preferrable over new features. So we'll stick with it for a long time, until we can safely switch to 3.8 (freescale is supporting also this one now).
    We've already enabled some extra kernel modules on latest kernel release (included in UDOOBuntu). Lot of them are DVB-T modules.
    You have the chance to tell us what you need and see it included in next release, if you are not able to successfuly compile it against the kernel sources.
    My best bet to start with is to take any platform which supports it, plug your DVB-T dongle in and type

Code:
    lsusb
    Then paste results in UDOOBuntu forum, (and everything related to kernel modules should be written there so we have a clean thread to discuss on how to improve UDOOBuntu).

http://www.udoo.org/forum/udoobuntu-beta-here-t1445.html

In my opinion this could be the best way to do that. Assuming that 3.0.35 supports that dongle, in any case we can add the modules from other sources and recompile them against current kernel.

You'll achieve in one time:

1- Plug and play operation with your DVB-T dongle
    2- You made this a better place
    3- Other member of the community will enjoy their DVB-T headends thanks to your contribution

;)

13. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Swap is not active, it will easiliy destroy SDs as you said. To check if it's active you can do

The result will be:

Code:
    Filename                                Type            Size    Used    Priority
    Which means is not active.

Or

Code:
    cat /proc/meminfo
    To have more detailed infos, the result of UDOOBuntu is:

Code:
    MemTotal:         896104 kB
    MemFree:          638832 kB
    Buffers:           28984 kB
    Cached:            80856 kB
    SwapCached:            0 kB
    Active:           122552 kB
    Inactive:          67064 kB
    Active(anon):      82316 kB
    Inactive(anon):     2084 kB
    Active(file):      40236 kB
    Inactive(file):    64980 kB
    Unevictable:           0 kB
    Mlocked:               0 kB
    HighTotal:             0 kB
    HighFree:              0 kB
    LowTotal:         896104 kB
    LowFree:          638832 kB
    SwapTotal:             0 kB
    SwapFree:              0 kB
    Dirty:                12 kB
    Writeback:             0 kB
    AnonPages:         79776 kB
    Mapped:            29952 kB
    Shmem:              4624 kB
    Slab:              19944 kB
    SReclaimable:       7740 kB
    SUnreclaim:        12204 kB
    KernelStack:        2152 kB
    PageTables:         3676 kB
    NFS_Unstable:          0 kB
    Bounce:                0 kB
    WritebackTmp:          0 kB
    CommitLimit:      448052 kB
    Committed_AS:     772592 kB
    VmallocTotal:     811008 kB
    VmallocUsed:        2608 kB
    VmallocChunk:     807204 kB

Or again:

Code:
    vmstat
    Which gives:
    Code:
    procs -----------memory---------- ---swap-- -----io---- -system-- ----cpu----
     r  b   swpd   free   buff  cache   si   so    bi    bo   in   cs us sy id wa
     0  0      0 638560  28984  80856    0    0   104     9  139  268  2  2 94  2

:cool:

14. peter247

peter247 New Member

tvheadend-dvb-kernel-t1516.html

Yep , that`s the problem , there is a problem with the software at kernel level .
    You may have enabled them , but the dvb-t modules still don`t work.

lsusb

root@udoobuntu: ~ $ lsusb
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0424:2514 Standard Microsystems Corp. USB 2.0 Hub
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 148f:5370 Ralink Technology, Corp. RT5370 Wireless Adapter
    Bus 002 Device 004: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 002 Device 005: ID 05e3:0608 Genesys Logic, Inc. USB-2.0 4-Port HUB
    Bus 002 Device 006: ID 2040:9300 Hauppauge WinTV NOVA-T USB2 (cold)

syslog when adaptor just says :

Jun 27 21:59:22 udoobuntu kernel: [ 196.060365] usb 2-1.2.3: new high speed USB device number 6 using fsl-ehci

But on the cubietruck you get the full :-

[ 20.834314] usb 4-1.2.2: new high-speed USB device number 8 using sw-ehci
    [ 20.967289] dvb-usb: found a 'Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T usb2' in warm state.
    [ 20.989106] dvb-usb: will pass the complete MPEG2 transport stream to the software demuxer.
    [ 21.010183] DVB: registering new adapter (Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T usb2)
    [ 21.029079] dvb-usb: MAC address: 00:0d:fe:00:f3:69
    [ 21.053347] DVB: registering adapter 0 frontend 0 (DiBcom 3000MC/P)...
    [ 21.134498] input: IR-receiver inside an USB DVB receiver as /devices/platform/sw-ehci.2/usb4/4-1/4-1.2/4-1.2.2/input/input3
    [ 21.159319] dvb-usb: schedule remote query interval to 100 msecs.
    [ 21.180319] dvb-usb: Hauppauge WinTV-NOVA-T usb2 successfully initialized and connected.

The problem may not be udoo`s teams fault if it`s due to the freescale kernel .

15. jaeg

jaeg Member

Any chance of getting the UDOO Config tool to allow us to change the memory split between the CPU and GPU or if it boots into the GUI first thing or not. The second one being more for convenience of course. :)

16. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

This could be a good start:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Hauppauge_WinTV-NOVA-T-USB2

What we need to make it work (the kernel supports it, since 2.6.12):

Get the dvb-usb-nova-t-usb2-01.fw firmware (and place it into /lib/firmware)

And enable those modules:

Code:
    - dib3000-common.ko
     - dib3000mc.ko
     - dvb-usb.ko
     - dvb-usb-dibusb-common.ko
     - dvb-usb-nova-t-usb2.ko
    More general info can be found:
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices

Let's tackle it, next week I'll do personally, try do the same in the meantime

17. peter247

peter247 New Member

Thank you , I`ll try that and report back if I get any joy .

I have the firmware file somewhere , but you know if it`s firmware problem , because it say can`t find firmware file ???.fw

you do mean add then to /etc/modules ?

TRIED IT ...

Add it to the it should , but doesn`t work list !!!!!

18. peter247

peter247 New Member

I THINK I MAY HAVE FOUND THE PROBLEM

I may have dvb-t working soon ..

19. mikelangeloz

mikelangeloz Member

Code:
    cd /lib/firmware
    wget https://sites.google.com/site/klaasdc/linux-dvb-firmware/fw.zip?attredirects=0&d=1
    unzip fw.zip
    rm fw.zip
    You may need to use sudo... I'm just speculating since not at home, but if we have kernel modules enabled (if not kernel recompile needed) this will do the trick. Let us know so we integrate in UDOOBuntu

20. peter247

peter247 New Member

I`ve tracked down the problem with my dvb-t adaptor being the kernel external modules, to make it work you needed to make the modules internal , I tried using modprobe to install the external modules, but never got them to work that way.

Had a little problem getting my dual dvb-t adaptor to work and found that wasn`t a problem with the software in the end, but the signal was too strong so had to fit an attenuator in line.

I did a little test recording , recording 2 channels from the same mux ( BBC 2 & 3 ) and streaming to my tablet and pc from a different mux.
    The test went quite well with a few "Continuity counter error" in the logs, but didn`t see any faults in the recordings .

about 25% cpu , 2 recording and 2 streaming , not bad at all !!!!!!

So in the end this bunny may finish up going back in the box , but this box will be to keep to dust off while it`s powered , out of the way in the loft.