I2S on UDOO

Discussion in 'Application & Utilities' started by dant100, Jan 7, 2014.

1. dant100

dant100 New Member

Hi everyone,

I am looking at buying an UDOO Quad to replace a raspberry Pi for a Volumio music system (And maybe another for an XBMC setup).
    The reason the Pi won't do is that it requires an outside source for the MCLK input on the I2S interface. The DAC I want to use doesn't have an onboard MCLK generator and neither does the Pi.
    I therefore need to buy a separate board to provide this.......or, if the Udoo can provide the MCLK signal as part of the I2S interface, I will just get one of those, it's about the same price!
    I've tried looking for the I2S pinout on the Udoo but came up empty handed. Does anyone know if it is possible?

Thanks in advance.
    Dan

2. Stark3

Stark3 New Member

Hi Dan,

Am in the same boat as you with regards to eyeing UDOO as the base of my music system. Anyway, based on what I've seen SO FAR(!!), I highly doubt that UDOO provides an MCLK output. Looking at the Rev D schematics, the audio codec in UDOO makes use of a separate 24.576MHz crystal as its clock, but that clock is not connected anywhere else.

I may be wrong though, and I hope that someone more experience steps in here as well. What I'm not sure about is the pinout diagram : SPDIF/IN and OUT are clearly labelled, but there's no mention there for I2S that I can see, so I can't really say for sure if it's included or not.