Initial software load

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Mark B, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Mark B

Mark B New Member

Folks,

My initial attempts to load the Udoo X86 have been somewhat frustrating. I downloaded the Udoo based Linux compilation from the Udoo site, and have used both the recommended Windisk imager, as well as Etcher, both of which I have used to load Raspberry Pie units before from images. However, when I powered up the X86 for the first time with a bootable USB drive, I note my drive comes up in the "legacy" Boot selection, but when I use that the USB drive blinks a few times and then I just get a blinking cursor in the upper left corner. When I rebooted again using the EFI Boot selection, I noted the USB drive also comes up in the EFI boot section. I tried that the second time, and still nothing. (I'm trying to load the software on to a Class 10 32GB SD card inseted in the X86.)

I next went to the Ubuntu site, and downloaded the latest stable version, imaged the USB drive, and booted again. This time I saw the USB drive in both the legacy bootable section, as well as the EFI boot section. I again tried the legacy boot drive selection, and got the same blinking cursor. I rebooted and used the EFI section my USB drive showed up in, and it loaded Ubuntu. However, near the beginning of the load, I got a prompt that essentially said "I see you booted from the EFI selection - if you continue to force that, you may not be able to boot back into EFI again." If I select the "Go Back" button, Ubuntu appears to load. Unfortunately, when it reboots, I get a something a line that says "Device XXX not found" and a prompt called a "Grub recovery" prompt (I can't remember exactly what it was called) and nothing else.

The Udoo video makes this seem so easy, but I'm having no luck. I have a Windows image that appeared to be ready to load onto the 128GB SSD (I stopped short at entering my activation code), but I wanted to try Ubuntu first on the micro SD card

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong? Any help would be greatly appreciated. My BIOS is still at 1.1, as I can't get any software loaded just yet to update.

Thanks in advance, apologies for the long post.

Mark

2. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

There is no Udoo linux image for the Udoo X86. The udoobuntu images on the Udoo site are for the Udoo Neo or quad.

You have to download a Linux X86 distro of your choice in the Linux site of your choice. See https://www.udoo.org/docs-x86/Software_&_OS_Distro/Linux.html

For updating uefi to v1.0.3 you best do it with a bootable freedos usb stick.

I am not familiar with dual boot and grub so I cannot help you with that.

3. Mark B

Mark B New Member

I appreciate the help! I missed the fact those downloads were not for the X86 - that explains my first issue. Thanks as well for the tip on FreeDos - I'm using that to update the BIOS right now. I'm still not sure why the latest Ubuntu did not load properly - the part I mentioned about the EFI clash Ubuntu warned about, and the subsequent failure leading to the "Grub Rescue" prompt.

Nevertheless, your help eliminates at least a few mysteries or misunderstandings on my part. Thanks again!

Mark

4. Markus Laire

Markus Laire Active Member

Note that BIOS 1.1 has some issues with SD card, so it's best to use USB drive until you get BIOS updated.

5. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear Mark B

I have successfully installed 7 GNU/Linux and Unix OS in UdooX86 Ultra but all in MBR Legacy mode.
    I want only confirm that sometimes (not always) the Mint installation in the MicroSD give me a "Grub rescue" prompt but if I reboot, in the nex reboot give me the correct GRUB list and allow a correct initialization of the software. Then I simply suggest you of reboot two time.