Is it safe/ppossible to use a 2280 size SSD?

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Mozart von Robot, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Mozart von Robot

Mozart von Robot New Member

I have a 2280 size m.2 SSD, but obviously it's too long to fit. Is it possible to get around this problem with some sort of extension flex cable board thing? Does that exist and would it work, or am I going to have to use a SATA solution or buy a new SSD?

2. itimpi

itimpi UDOOer

3. Mozart von Robot

Thanks! That answers half my question. Unfortunately, that particular solution would get problematic with casing, as I want to be able to get to the ports, but it's good to know there's no electrical issue. Now I just need to find out if there's some sort of flex adapter with a separate mounting board.

4. Mozart von Robot

5. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

Link in post #4 is for B-key M.2 SATA SSD extension only (i.e., not for PCIe x2 extension.)
    HOWEVER, please note one seller's version has a design flaw such that
    the male side (plug side) that needs to go into UDOO x86's top M.2 slot need to be upside down inserted.
    This means the flex-cable connector is facing down and would interfere the lower M.2 card in the lower slot.

I don't know the actual card in the post #4. It may have been fixed but no easy way to tell.

ccs_hello

6. Mozart von Robot

Thanks for that warning! Apparently there's also this one: http://m.ebay.com/itm/M-2-NGFF-Extender-Cable-for-M-2-NGFF-B-M-Key-SATA-SSD-/291203947744?hash=item43cd1b9ce0:g:63AAAOSwInxXMJhD&_trkparms=pageci%3A6ab3b614-5bff-11e7-92c0-74dbd180f167%7Cparentrq%3Aeeba8d3c15c0ab644e06cdcefff8ae43%7Ciid%3A14
    I guess I should ask the sellers if they're connective on both sides? Or is there a more relevant question to ask?

ETA: I just took a closer look at the pictures, comparing the connectors to the SSD and the connector on the board. It doesn't appear that the problem you describe is present. Both of these should go in the right way, so I ordered the cheaper (black) one. If it doesn't work, I'll complain to the seller. Either way, I'll report back here with the findings in case anyone else is looking to do the same sort of thing.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2017