Joystick shield?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by francescomm, Mar 16, 2014.

1. francescomm

francescomm Member

2. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

Looking at the schematic for the Joystick board the momentary buttons connected to D3 to D6 are just grounding those pins which would be safe for Udoo. The schematic doesn't show pullup resistors to 5V so confirm that on the actual shield. The real question is if the A0 or A1outputs will be above the allowable 3.3V. Also D2 which is used as a select doesn't show on the schematic whether there is a pull up to 5V. If you can connect the shield without these 3 pins connected you could check to see what voltages are read at these pins. A safer solution would be to look at the wiring connections of the Joystick itself and change it to 3.3V operation instead of 5V. I haven't looked at one myself so can't help you further.

Please don't connect 5V to any input on the UDOO or the board will suffer the consequences! You probably won't see any smoke but those pins may or may not work again.

Mike

3. francescomm

francescomm Member

Thanks Mike, I can confirm the buttons all use the Arduino internal pullup resistors (as the code detects for a LOW as a button push). I will have to find out about the Joystick A0/A1. Thanks.

4. francescomm

francescomm Member

5. andcmp

andcmp New Member

6. Mikeee

Mikeee Member

I like that fix. Disconnect 5V from the entire shield and operate with 3.3V. You will never feed higher than 3.3V into UDOO. Might pick up one of those shields. Joystick and buttons would come in handy for projects.