Kivy Support

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Hydro, Nov 7, 2016.

1. Hydro

Hydro New Member

Hi! Can someone on the Udoo team confirm if Kivy applications are working on the Udoo x86 boards?

My project will be using Kivy and unfortunately I cannot get Kivy working on the Udoo Quad. I would expect that Kivy would work with no issues on the x86 boards, but I would prefer to have confirmation before making another purchase.

https://kivy.org/#home

2. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

I cannot imagine that Udoo can confirm that all software will always run everywhere always. However, if I look at the webpage it is a Python based solution which runs on Windows and Linux etc. If you install Win10 I can see no reason that it wouldn't work with multitouch.
    [DISCLAIMER: I'm not part of the 'UDOO team']

3. Hydro

Hydro New Member

The issue with Udoo Quad, based on my research, is graphics drivers. Kivy applications crash and there has been no resolution provided. Based on the specs of the X86 boards, I would imagine Kivy applications would run fine. However, before I purchase any of these boards I would prefer to have confirmation that it works. If not, my project will be moved to a product (Raspberry Pi 3) where I know Kivy applications work. I realize the Udoo team is busy and I may have to wait till a customer has one in hand and confirm.

4. Maurice

Maurice Active Member

That was my problem too, JavaFX couldn't access the graphics driver and didn't use native rendering, defaulting to the software pipeline. Which doesn't have enough performance. Luckily @graugans was creating a Yocto image, and he kindly helped me getting the right configuration with drivers an such.

I personally assume that the X86 won't have this problem, but it is an assumption until I have received them.

5. Hydro

Hydro New Member

Could you point me in the direction of the drivers and configuration that was used for the Yocto image?

6. graugans

graugans Administrator Staff Member

Ahoi, I am as-well not part of the official UDOO team. But from my experience I would expect the UDOO x86 will run Kivy without any issues. Because in the end it is an PC in a small formfactor.

For i.mx6 based UDOOs it will be a mission to find the right window manager to get Kiwi working.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  7. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi @Hydro,
    and welcome in the forum!
    If it works on your laptop computer it will work on UDOO X86.
    UDOO X86 is a standard desktop PC.