List of known issues and a way to solve them

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Andrea Rovai, Nov 3, 2015.

1. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

Strange problem developed today regarding powering up the board. When using the barrel connection, board does not power up anymore. I found that if I have the micro usb supplying power first, then plug in the barrel, and THEN remove the micro usb .... the board remains powered. I've switched barrel supplies and same issue...

2. Minitechnicus

Minitechnicus New Member

Hi,
    I try to boot Win10 IoT made for RaspberryPi. Is this supported? Also, is the Raspbian supported?

thank you!

3. Mike Paxton

Mike Paxton New Member

I had a simular issue the first time I used the Neo. I plugged in the barrel and the device would not power on so I then switched to powering with the micro usb and all went well. Later on I tried again with only the barrel and it then powered up. All worked well the last two days until tonight when I went to powering everything up and found that it would not start with the barrel. This time I hooked it up to my multimeter and all looked good, 12.1 volts and plenty of current. After trying again with the micro usb it powered on. I then immediately unplugged the usb and again used only the barrel and it then powered up just fine. I've been using it with the barrel for the last couple of hours. Not sure what the issue really is but it seems that from time to time it needs to be reset using the usb power. Odd!

4. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

About the same problem here.
    First time I powered up the NEO would not boot. Then I presset the reset button It worked.
    After reading this post, and not powering NEO since yesterday night, I tried to powert the NEO from the barrel power supply connector it would not boot Linux. The M4 was aparently working running the code "Blink". Then I pressed the reset and it boots Linux. It seems that if the NEO is left wihtout power for some time (hours?), and it is powered by the barrel power connector, it wont boot unless you press the reset.
    -Jack

5. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

I think it's a way to preserve the low-power! In fact if you want to use udoo neo only for a project on the M4 processor does not automatically start also Linux .. It would consume energy unnecessarily .. In short udoo neo plugged in power adapter only works as an Arduino unless you press the reset button .. If powered by Micro USB instead start automatically Linux .. I think it's a good idea that can not start unnecessarily Linux. But it would be more convenient than the reset button functions as a reset for M4 processor if pressed and immediately released. Instead to use as a starting/reset button for Linux if kept pressed for several seconds, for example 2 seconds.

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

6. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Cio Marco,

I disagree. This can't be a feature.
    Not everyone will think that "Linux is unecessary" to start when the power comes up. It think is is a bug that needs to be looked at.
    Just ask the IoT guys, they will need Lunix to boot when the power comes up. Any other application that you need Ethernet to talk to NEO will need the Linux portion to be up when the power comes up.

In summary, any project that Linux is running as the high level tasks computer needs it to boot. Otherwise one can just get an Arduino Due board for ~ $15. Or the many M4 options around with more memory than M4 at NEO that can support the free mbed development environment.

I am sure the Udoo Team will reply here soon with their opinion and when a solution may come to us. I can just imagine how busy they are these days to ship NEO to the people looking to get their shiping tracking numbe every day ;-)

Thanks,
    -Jack

7. montella

montella New Member

Dears,
    I have the same issue using OSX 10.11.1
    Followed all the steps, but nothing!
    I can just see the boot devices as an external hard drive.
    With the ethernet cable works fine.
    Any suggestion?
    I'd like to prepare a tutorial on Internet of Things and Cloud Computing here at UChicago and using UDOO NEO for that could be so cool!
    Here the most part of students use OSX. The network infrastructure is deeply secured, so I prefer the students connect the UDOO directly using the USB cable.
    Bests,
    Raffaele

8. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

hello Raffaele once you have finished making your tutorial you can send it to me by e-mail? or you can post it in a comment and share the link? thank you

9. JackSilb

JackSilb Active Member

Hi Raffaele,

If the network in the Univerity is so secure, how will you do IoT without using the network?

The use of the USB with a Mac seems to be a problem today. My work around is to install a virtual machine, or use a regular machine running Linux or Windows, to configure NEO for a fix IP address then use the Mac.
    If you have the virtual machin in the Mac then you can switch back and forth as needed.

-Jack

10. xbrav

xbrav UDOOer

On first boot, I swear I looked over the OS a few times, and didn't see the wifi on the taskbar or in Network Manager until I ran the First Configuration Wizard. I accessed this by going to "localhost" in the Web Browser. Perhaps this should be a link on the desktop.

11. ross

ross New Member

Hi. when I try to send a message using serial from the linux side to the arduino side through 'ttymxc3' I have a problem. I get a message saying 'ttymxc3' does not exist. After entering the command 'ls /dev/ttymxc*' only 'ttymxc0' and 'ttymxc2' are listed. why is ttymxc3 not there? is this the correct way to send a message from linux to arduino?

12. cypher

cypher New Member

For everybody have problems with the USB-Ethernet on a Mac with El-Capitan (10.11) ... It is a bug in the HORNDIS driver. You can read this issue on the owners website here:
    http://joshuawise.com/horndis
    Heads up: HoRNDIS does NOT yet work on Mac OS X 10.11 (El Capitan)! If you rely on HoRNDIS for your internet connectivity, you should not upgrade to Mac OS X 10.11. Hopefully when time permits I will fix the driver. Some users are currently working on support, but the driver is not yet stable.

Best regards
    Marc​

13. mdoan7

mdoan7 New Member

My initial board (A) does not respond to reset when it's in this zombie state (no power lights, M4 code not blinking). It only comes to life if the usb is even momentarily plugged in. Board A did not exhibit this problem initially (2-3 weeks of tinkering) and only recently presented. I recently receive a second board (B) that does not have this problem (same sd card, same blink program). We'll see if board B catches it.

14. Mike Paxton

Mike Paxton New Member

The issue seems to be very intermittent for me. I was using Neo all day yesterday, powering it up and down for various reason and not a single issue. This morning on the first attempt I had the same experience as I posted in my quote above except this time usb did not solve it. I had to hook it up via usb to serial and power it that way. Once I booted serially I was then able to power it down and use the barrel. Normally, when I connect to it via serial I leave the 5volt leg unplugged and use 12 volts from the barrel so I have more current than my laptops usb port can provide.
    I'm wondering what protection diodes and such there maybe on the barrel, micro-usb and serial Vin and how they may differ between each of them?

Marco Schiff likes this.
  15. montella

montella New Member

Thanks! I used a network cable to setup udooneo01 and udoneo02.
    Now I have these issues:
    1. An error when I try to setup the keyboard
    2. The wifi setup apparently is not saved at the next boot (I have to repeat the procedure browsing http://udooneoXX.local)
    3. The temperature sensor i2c is not recognised or the kernel module fails while it loads.

-- Raffaele

16. sieler

sieler New Member

Raffaele...may not help, but my Udoo Neo preserved the Wifi settings (in my case, it was desired SSID and the WPA password)
    Note that this is the Linux side, I haven't tried any Arduino stuff.

17. sieler

sieler New Member

xbrav...I didn't, and still don't, see any wifi icon on my Linux IDE taskbar. However, there's a blank space between some
    icons on the far right of the bottom of the screen ... clicking there caused the WiFi config window to open, listing the
    available networks.

18. Gianluca Magrini

Gianluca Magrini New Member

hi all,
    burning image to sd goes ok,
    connecting to udoo neo's webserver is ok but i am not able to change keyboard layout because of an error that says to try again. even if i try to reboot the neo several times. if i attach a tv to hdmi udoobunto seems to be ok
    i can use ssh for remote terminal but every time i try to use xvnc to remotely connect to the board i have a grey screen with only the cursor. i have waited but nothing changes..

sorry for my english mi esprimo meglio in Italiano
    [edit]
    i did all that things with the udoo powered via usb; after i powered it by it's own power cord vnc goes ok
    i think it depends on a sort of conflict with the usb direct connection.

using an old laptop with lubuntu

[/edit]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
  19. Marco Schiff

Marco Schiff New Member

I can not use the desktop to save create or move files .. Nothing at all .. I tried to change the permissions, but I get the same error there too .. why?[​IMG]

20. patrykk

patrykk Member

Hellou guys, for Now I have only two issues with udoo neo.
    I'll start with more important problem for me. I have a very big latency on wifi interface when I try to sent something to udoo neo from other host:

Code:
    64 bytes from 192.168.10.19: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=631 ms
    64 bytes from 192.168.10.19: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=241 ms
    I dont have any problem when I ping any host from udoo neo. For now I dont know where is a problem.
    Second problem is a vivante driver and performance. We have to update kernel to 3.14.38 from freescale and update drivers to latest blob from vivante with symbol p7.