M.2 2242 Missing From Bootable Devices

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Peter Worden, Sep 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Peter Worden

Peter Worden New Member

I'm unclear why this M.2 drive is not listed from the BIOS as a bootable device. Windows 10 allows me to install to it, but when it comes down to actually booting from it the drive is missing from the offering from any BIOS driven menu.

I don't remember seeing any "unsupported" keywords in this product when I bought it, but I fear that something isn't kosher in documentation land that I'm about to find out. The specs are:
    Toshiba Memory America THN-RC10Z2400G8(TS OCZ RC100 Series NVMe M.2 2242 Internal SSD 240GB

I updated the firmware to 104 from 103 and even tried the trick of throwing in an empty SD card, but that didn't help either.

The last time I remember seeing this sort of nightmare, dubbed due to the severity of confusion it has caused, I recall was when SATA was just becoming a thing and manufacturers couldn't agree on which operating mode to standardize on which made drive support a zoo.

2. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

1) Which port are you connecting it to?
    2) Have you tried connecting it on a different port?
    3) Have you tried connecting it on a different computer?
    4) Have you tried connecting a different SSD to the same port?

3. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

4. Peter Worden

Peter Worden New Member

Sad day, can't have fast things to boot from... well Win 10 is a glutton during major updates and I know from first hand experience that it failed on another device I own that only offers 32GB of EMMC onboard storage. This is due to OS + Software space consumed leaves less than what the Windows update demands which in my case was 8GB.

I'll do what I can to offset this issue with setting software to install to the M.2 drive and see what can be done to re-home the Windows Update cache folder to reside on that drive as well.

5. Peter Worden

Peter Worden New Member

@Snakebyte The drive works, just not as a bootable device on this particular board.

Its like having a phone that supports voice recognition, but only when the screen is unlocked.

@waltervl Is there rumor of extending support for NVMe on NGFF slots?

6. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

No rumors I have heard of.

7. ccs_hello

ccs_hello UDOOer

If you want to boot directly from NVMe, the firmware has to have the proper code to make it happen.
    AFAIK, no such function exists on UDOO x86's.

8. Snakebyte

Snakebyte Member

The closed source, proprietary firmware for Udoo's x86 SBC is increasingly disappointing. I find it unfortunate that the developers did not take the time to implement a open source firmware like Open Firmware, which is BSD licensed. I spent some time a while back porting it to Haiku with gcc and it can clearly run in an x86 environment without much effort. With such a firmware and some NVRAM, the Udoo community could contribute the necessary Forth code to allow OF to boot new devices (not to mention that OF can do serial debugging over telnet, which would have greatly aided my porting of a different OS to Udoo x86).

9. Peter Worden

Peter Worden New Member