m.2 port extender

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by onek, Nov 5, 2016.

1. onek

onek New Member

2. GourouLubrik

GourouLubrik New Member

I'm in the same boat about the m2/ngff ports.
    I'd like to know the all the spec of both ports: the protocols supported, number of pcie line, the ngff "key"&plug, size, the height between them, what "oversize" margin is available..

like OP, I'm looking for extension I may (or may not) use for my future project. I think a flat ribbon base riser may need to be used in order to exploit the smaller one with such big ports...

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  3. Laura

Laura UDOOer

No, the extender mentioned by @onek will not work, as it appears to use a port multiplier to increase the single SATA interface provided by the M.2 slot. The SATA controller on the X86 board does not support port multipliers.

If I'm mistaken, and the product you linked to instead uses PCI Express to create an independent SATA connection, then that should theoretically work, however, the adapter is also shorter than the M.2 space provided (2242 instead of 2260), so I'm not sure how it can be clipped into place using the screw fitting. M.2 is a very new form factor and I've not had proper experience with it yet.

onek likes this.
  4. onek

onek New Member

Thanks for the detailed answer, Laura. So until now, there is no known way of having more than just one SATA port available?

5. Laura

Laura UDOOer

There is a SATA connector on the side of the board.

6. onek

onek New Member

I am very well aware of that. Let me make myself more clear:
    Is there any possibility to have more SATA connectors than the existing one?

7. Laura

Laura UDOOer

Apologies, I misread the question :oops:
    To increase the boards overall amount of SATA connections, you'd need a PCIe based SATA controller. I'm not sure if any are available in the M.2 form factor, so I think the process would be to get a M.2 to PCIe edge card adapter, then purchase a card like the following https://www.amazon.com/IO-Crest-Controller-Non-Raid-SI-PEX40064/ (linking to give a general idea of what's available, and not as a recommendation for any particular model)

8. Laura

Laura UDOOer

The product that @ThomasOu linked to appears to be what you are after OP, though, clearance would need to be double checked, as it overhangs 4mm along two sides. Also I'm unsure if the shorter length of 42mm means it cannot be clipped into place. There are two M.2 form factor holes to clip into on the UDOO board, so perhaps one of them is 42mm. Unfortunately, I do not know enough about M.2 yet.

Price/availability comparison for that product - https://geizhals.eu/delock-54668-a1460254.html

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  9. sirrab

sirrab UDOOer

10. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hello to everybody,
    here is the info we have about M2 SSD, M2 Key B, hope it helps.
    For what concerns SSD supported lenghts are 400 and 600 mm. Supported form factor is thus 2240 and 2260.
    Anyway the Braswell has PCIE 2.0 lines. The Key B slot exposes just 2 PCIE lines, so tops you can get the performance of 2 PCIE lines second generation. In regard to MB/s on hard disk I don't have tests or measures to share. Theoretically with 2 lines you could get to 10 GT/s (10 Giga Transfers per second).
    I'll share more info as soon as I'll have them.

GourouLubrik likes this.