My udoo does not appear as massive storage device. and Can not get IP address

Discussion in 'UDOO QUAD' started by lieutenantpooh, Sep 15, 2017.

1. lieutenantpooh

lieutenantpooh New Member

My OS is Mac OS X 10.12.4 (sierra)
    I bought UDOO QUAL from UDOO online store around 2015
    1. when I connected USB serial line to my Mac Book Pro. I can use minicom tool to see the boot information.
    2 when I check the UDOO IP . using "ifconfig -a " command , I only get eth0,lo and wlan0 configurations .but no usb0 configuration.
    worth to mention here is that, the PWL LED light is not on .
    3. when I plug the DC-IN from my power supply .the PWL LED gets on, and UDOO seems like working properly on it's udoobuntu linux system. but still no usb0 network. I still can not using the IP address 192.168.7.2 to access it.

Can anybody can help me with this issue?

2. fetcher

fetcher Member

The micro-USB connector (CN6) at the edge of the board supports only serial console I/O, nothing else - it's connected directly to an RS232-to-USB converter chip (CP2104, similar to FT232, etc.), which can be jumpered to talk to either the i.MX6 main CPU (UART #2 there, /dev/ttymxc1) or to the SAM3X Arduino CPU, but isn't a general-purpose USB interface.

I'm surprised you were able to power up the board through this connector, since +5V from USB is below the minimum voltage spec (~7-8V, 12V recommended), and available current might be too low as well. Some functions on the board would probably not work using that power source, and you might also experience crashes as soon as a heavy load was put on the CPU.

The second micro-USB connector next to that one ties directly into a USB OTG controller on the I.MX6, and so could potentially be used for mass storage, networking, etc. but you'd need to first load the necessary drivers on the Udoo, and bring up any associated userland services. Unlike with, say a Beagleboard, I don't think these functions are enabled by default in the provided Linux images.

I use the OTG port on mine as an extra host port instead, nice to have since it's on a controller by itself - all other USB Host ports, including the one under the Wifi module are behind a hub IC, and share a single controller on the i.MX6. Running it in host mode does require a small kernel mod, since that port's ID pin isn't connected.