New Udoo X86 Metal Case

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by LDighera, Feb 9, 2018.

Tags:
  1. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

stecolumna likes this.
  2. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear LDighera,

very interesting.
    Why there are no pictures of the opposite side ?

This is a slim version without SATA disk ?
    There is a big version with space for SATA disk ?

Best regards

Stefano Colonna

3. algas

algas New Member

more info, more pics plz :) and a "jumbo" version aka space for a sata disk was appreciated!!! :D

4. LDighera

LDighera UDOOer

5. stecolumna

stecolumna UDOOer

Dear LDighera

Actually I'm using my Udoox86 Ultra only with the 128GB MicroSD and Mint and I'm fully satisfacted then I agree with your reasoning. But for reasons related to scientific research I also need the full version of M2 and SATA disk.
    So I think this case is great for an entry level configuration but I do not exclude that it is good to have even a more complete one.

Thanks for your answer and best regards.

Stecolumna

6. nmalinoski

nmalinoski New Member

I emailed the manufacturer asking about a version of this case that can accommodate having both an NVME and a SATA disk installed, as well as standard PC power/reset buttons (because the variant they sell publicly lacks the power button of UDOO's, as well as the antennae mount holes) and power/HDD access LEDs.

Looking at the full-size product images, the normal models are clearly too shallow to accommodate a 2.5" SATA disk, but they at least expose the SATA data and power ports externally (still, not ideal).

The standard acrylic case is too shallow to accommodate both disks at the same time, which is why I'm looking at alternative cases in the first place. A while back, I bought a UCASE for my UDOO Quad, which has an optional lower compartment for a 2.5" disk. I did have to get a special, low-profile, side-right-angle SATA cable (although not before I punched out that plate directly above the SATA data port :<) and had to fabricate my own SATA power cable, but my Quad now has and runs Ubuntu from an 80GB HDD.

It sucks that there still isn't a good, quality case for the UDOO x86 that has an internal compartment for a SATA disk. :/

7. waltervl

waltervl UDOOer

If you put an extra extender between the 2 acrylic plates it definitely can accommodate an m2 ssd disc (although not nvme!!) and a 2" sata disc.

If you see the business opportunity you can create your own metal case :)

You can always have a case 3D printed, there are examples published. You probably even can have it printed in metal, but will be expensive....