New user questions

Discussion in 'UDOO 101' started by imat, Jul 4, 2014.

1. imat

imat New Member

Hi All,

I've just received my Udoo, and have a few questions regarding the board.. There doesn't seem to be a great deal of info around yet.

1: What is the pinout for the LVDS port? I have an LVDS convertor board but has a 20 pin cable, where the UDOO has 24 pin.
    2: Is there a way to connect another power button to this board without modifying the existing button? eg a header or something?
    3: What is the minimum and max volatge for the EXT Battery?
    4: Does the UDOO charge the EXT battery?

Thanks

2. fetcher

fetcher Member

I'd recommend downloading the schematics first thing, available here: http://udoo.org/download/files/schemati ... matics.pdf
    These contain a LOT of useful information that doesn't seem to be documented elsewhere. To your questions,

(1) The LVDS connector's pinout is shown on sheet/page 11 of that PDF. Some of its extra pins are meant for a touchscreen interface. Be very careful with pins 21-22, labeled "Vin", which pass through +12V (or whatever voltage is coming from your power adapter or battery pack) directly from the DC input. I think this is intended for CCFL backlight driver circuits, but could easily fry an LCD if miswired.

(2) the power button signal also connectsto pin "PB23" on the Arduino-side SAM3X CPU, which continues to run even while the Linux/i.MX6 side is shut down (drawing about 0.4W, plus whatever any attached shields or other devices pull). The i.MX6 RESET is on on SAM3X pin PB3. So, an Arduino sketch could be written to cycle power or reset the i.MX6 CPU based on whatever input signals or other conditions you want to set up, although you'd need to look up what these "port B" control signals correspond to in Arduino D___ pin notation. They probably map to high numbers, well above all those brought out to actual header pins.

(3) Freescale's i.MX6 datasheet specifies a 2.9V to 3.3V range for VDD_SNVS_IN, the voltage rail supplied by the ext-battery terminal, though the RTC will probably keep working down to at least 2.5V. Note that the UDOO board has a Schottky diode between its battery connector and the i.MX6 input (as well as a 1kohm resistor), which will drop voltage by 0.3V or more. I'd use either a 3V CR2032 lithium coil cell (as on PC motherboards) or two 1.5-1.6V AA alkalines. Three NiMH cells, at 3.6-3.7V total (minus 0.3V diode drop) would probably be OK, though that's pushing the upper limit.

I measured current draw from the battery input (with main power off) at 67 micramps (@ 3.0V). Battery current drops to zero when the board is powered on, so long as battery voltage input doesn't exceed the main switched 3.3V rail, which runs closer to 3.4V on my board.

(4) that inline diode blocks any reverse current flow, so charging of the battery isn't possible without extra circuitry.

3. imat

imat New Member

Thank you for a very detailed and informative reply, much appreciated.