Open CV on NEO?

Discussion in 'UDOO NEO' started by Bhargav K, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Bhargav K

Bhargav K New Member

hello Udooers,

I am planning to use UDOO neo to recognise some patterns , Is Open CV working on Udoo neo?
    I dont see much documentation on the same. Any links or projects would be of great help

2. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Dear Bhargav K,
    since NEO doesn't have an accelerated encoding/decoding GPU-side we have never recompiled OpenCV for NEO or tried it somehow.
    Cheers

3. AngusGalloway

AngusGalloway New Member

It works, we tried the python version with a Mobius in webcam mode. A document is in progress for how to setup a wifi p2p video streaming demo to a laptop. We had some major flaws with the implemented rest api throttling our FPS, but it works! https://github.com/burks10/UAS-LiveVideoStreaming

But yes, we need to get GPU involved.

Andrea Rovai likes this.
  4. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

That example just seems to stream the Mobius output over wifi to a laptop. I suspect the original post is about deploying opencv on the Neo for image recognition which isn't practical because there is no h/w acceleration support for the imx6 in OpenCV. The A9 is too weak to do this in software and there is a small potential to do some basic image processing using Open GL Shaders but the GPU may struggle.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  5. AngusGalloway

AngusGalloway New Member

6. jas-mx

jas-mx Active Member

I don't now how much practical experience you have had with image detection, however the ideas presented in the application note although novel are very crude in their implementation for image detection. Furthermore in the conclusion section it also mentions the possibility of using Open CL on the imx6, I can tell you from experience the Open CL support is extremely limited to point it's not useful at all. Also bare in mind the GPU on the Neo is extremely weak compared to the higher end i.mx6 processors so you won't get the same level of performance.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015