OpenGL, Ubuntu, Unity, Compiz, Armel and Armhf

Discussion in 'Linux Ubuntu' started by profoundWHALE, Nov 18, 2013.

1. profoundWHALE

profoundWHALE New Member

Okay, so to start off I'm one of those people that got the box, hooked everything up, and everything worked... mostly.

I was uncomfortable with the Linaro desktop so it tried to install unity, and it didn't really work. While trying to replace the windows manager I'm pretty sure I broke it.

So I did a fresh install. I always like the latest, mainly because or drivers and what not, so I used 14.04. Some might already be screaming at me but whatever. Basic point is everything works except for OpenGL, which means no working compiz, which means no unity. At first I thought it was the GPU, that it was faulty. But after taking a look at the forums, it seems someone else ran into a similar issue.

See back when I was destroying my Linaro Ubuntu, I somehow forced it to try to use compositing, which made the screen stop refreshing. Well, it did, just at a 0.05 fps or something like that. Which sounds exactly what happened to me.

There's a difference between my Ubuntu 14 and Ubuntu 11 OS however: Architecture. What I can't figure out is why you guys went with armel over armhf. For legacy it makes sense, but there's multi-arch for that, and I couldn't manage to install a version of dpkg in armel that had 'dpkg add-architecture armhf' or in other words multi-arch. In my new install it worked perfectly, and I'm in the middle of trying to install the versions that killkrt posted here: http://www.udoo.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=296&p=2622#p2622

Basically, I want to know about the armel and armhf thing, so yeah.