post-unboxing notes

Discussion in 'UDOO KEY' started by BarkEaterJ, May 25, 2023.

1. BarkEaterJ

BarkEaterJ UDOOer

Got my key 2 days ago. Nice box. Pin-out side of info sheet is practically useless, doesn't photograph well for zooming in.

First thing I noticed was no visual indication of life when plugged-in. Saw first indication of life from syslog seeing usb. I also noticed one of JP1's pins isn't seated all the way, so the jumper sits crooked. I'll fix that myself.

Second thing was in "Get Started with ESP32" where 'git clone --recursive https://github.com/espressif/esp-idf.git -b 4.4.1' fails with 'fatal: Remote branch 4.4.1 not found in upstream origin'. Knowing I already had esp32 support in my Arduino IDE, just had to update it to upload a blink program successfully. Pin 33 is blinking a yellow LED, Pin 32 doesn't blink the other LED. Funny I'm still not seeing a power LED, must be a bad led on pin 32. :(

Will play with the RP2040 after I decide what I'm going to do about reporting the power LED.

2. BarkEaterJ

BarkEaterJ UDOOer

For giggles, I tried copying the .uf2 file to the mounted drive and fails/unmounts. The INDEX.HTM and INFO_UF2.TXT files there are read-only. It didn't help changing the permissions on the directory.

Syslog shows:
    device offline error, dev sde, sector 260 op 0x1:(WRITE) flags 0x0 phys_seg 1 prio class 0
    Buffer I/O error on dev sde1, logical block 259, lost async page write

More later!

3. BarkEaterJ

BarkEaterJ UDOOer

Tried it on a windows 10 laptop, basically the same result. I can mount the drive (RPI-RPI2), I can see the files, and the file seems to copy - I see a progress bar, but then the drive unmounts. Pressing the buttons remounts the drive, but doesn't show the .uf2 file. Still no power LED, blink still running on the esp32. Wondering where Clea is.

4. DrewTChrist

DrewTChrist UDOOer

Hello BarkEaterJ

I've noticed like you, that there is no power LED. That is quite a shame given that the Pico has one and just most dev boards in general.

I wanted to address your rp2040 troubles.

You say you tried copying the uf2 file to the mounted drive. What does the uf2 file contain? What indicated to you that it failed?

It sounds to me like it loaded just fine. When you put a uf2 onto the drive it should unmount on its own right after. While the bootloader will present the INDEX.HTM and INFO_UF2.TXT files to you, the bootloader will never show you the uf2 file in the drive. It gets moved to the external flash storage I believe. So there's nothing unusual about your machine unmounting the drive and not showing you the uf2 you previously tried loading.

5. BarkEaterJ

BarkEaterJ UDOOer

Thanks! I'm working with customer care about this. At this point I'm at step 5 of the RP2040 guide, in rshell working with the example .py file. Hopefully the issue is more about documentation than a defective device.

AD1 likes this.
  6. BarkEaterJ

BarkEaterJ UDOOer

Success! Thanks to Drew's insight above! Turns out that although I didn't actually see /pyboard/main.py after connecting to rshell, "cp main.py /pyboard/main.py" didn't return an error and "ls /pyboard" showed main.py! YAY! Reset everything and I have a blinking green LED!

I was confused with the documentation, expecting to copy the .py the same way the .uf2 file was copied.

AD1 and DrewTChrist like this.