Power up and down behavior

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by nicola, Feb 23, 2015.

1. nicola

nicola Member

I'm building a prototype with Udoo and I'm trying to make it to boot and shutdown like a typical PC.
    This is the behavior I'd want:
    - when the power jack is plugged nothing happens
    - the imx6 boots only after i push a button
    - if I shutdown the sam3x via software, a push of a button will boot the system again

I searched for some on board connectors but the only one i think is related is the J25 (DC-IN). I imagine it works like the external jack but from the schematics (page 15) alone I cant figure how to use it. I'd like to have some more documentatione before starting to play with the power supply :?

To be able to boot again the system after a software shutdown i must use a button, a switch will not work as expected.

Is there an "official" way to obtain my wanted behavior?

2. vpeter

vpeter Active Member

When power is applied system always boots. When system is shutdown you can't turn it on again without taking off main power. I could be wrong with this so someone should correct me.

3. nicola

nicola Member

You have correctly described the standard boot/shutdown behavior of Udoo.
    Since the card is also designed for the creation of prototypes I was hoping there was a method to obtain a behavior similar to a commercial electronic device. I think it is a characteristic reasonable for a product of this type, may be it's already impemented in some way. Something like "disable auto-boot toggling this jumper" and "connect push button there for manual boot". I have seen many prototypes made with Udoo but I've never seen info about this problem.

4. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there,
    there is already a button to turn on the UDOO: the PWb! It is the long button near to the reset button. The normal behaviour is:
    -when you plug the UDOO, it turns on. If you want to shut it down again you can do it through the graphical interface you will see on the screen connected to the UDOO.
    -now, you have shutdown the UDOO, which is plugged. If you want to turn it on you do not have to unplug it and plug it again, you just have to press the PWb.
    -the third request you make can be realized by UDOO.
    The easiest way is to use the J16 jumper, and apply to this jumper a on/off switch. When this jumper is plugged, the SAM3X is in reset mode.
    Have I been useful?

5. nicola

nicola Member

Thanks for the reply.
    You listed a solution for every single point of my request but i wanted a solution that worked for all of three points, you solutons are not compatible between each other :(
    The ideal solution is to disable the automatic boot when the power jack is connected but I understand it's not possible.

As a workaround I found an external circuit that i think can be adapted to the Udoo:
    http://www.mosaic-industries.com/embedd ... controller

I'm still searching for a easyer solution, the less hardware the better.

Thanks for the help

6. Andrea Rovai

Andrea Rovai Well-Known Member

Hi there again,
    maybe I explained me badly. The first two answers were just an explanation of the normal behaviour you have with UDOO, the third one was just to let you know that it's possible. Actually, I wouldn't know how to help with the button you want to add, you have to develop a bit :)

7. nicola

nicola Member

I misunderstood your answers, i thought that the three points were directly related to my questions :roll:

Your solution is to add a switch connected to the reset jumper so the on-board buttons can be ignored. The user must remember to shut down the switch after the software shutdown but this can work. Your solution can also work with the button I linked above, this way I don't need to byepass the power supply. Probably we will go for a single switch, we are trying to make the box as small as possible and I don't think the CAD guy will like to add another pcb to the project :lol: .

Thanks again.

8. tiba666

tiba666 New Member

power button work prefect for my udoo for what i'm using it for just annoying they haven't used 2 pins for restart and power off button instead.... i use it a ssh / npv / nas server and i delete the lightdm and the powerbutton work just fine ^^ so it kind of annoring when i type poweroff insted of reboot in terminal .. ^^ specielt when the udoo is 300km away from me -.- xD