Preparing for Initial Bootable Primary OS Installation (Recommendation)

Discussion in 'UDOO X86' started by Suren, Jan 15, 2018.

1. Suren

Suren New Member

Hi UDOO People,

I struggled for hours with UNetBootin. Please, please, stop recommending this terrible program. It's beyond horrible and just writes ISO files and assumes you have your USB / MMC / SD /HD or any device all set up with proper partitioning / MBR flag etc that can be read and booted by the UDOO BIOS. This is very hard to do with Windows 10 and larger capacity storage.

Please recommend people use RUFUS which you can get here https://rufus.akeo.ie/ which gets the whole job done and ensures whatever card / device / USB or HD you're writing to has proper Linux flagged / UEFI compliant partitioning and flagging to be see by UDOO's BIOS and it will even give you recommendations on setting if it sees your specific Linux flavor ISO could use a specific setting to run best. First time using Rufus and my Ubuntu boot installation worked perfectly vs. hours of smacking my hand against my face with UNetBootin not partitioning or flagging my Ubuntu ISO / MBR / partition correctly. By default, Windows does not have anything that will set up the bootable Linux partition correctly. You need Rufus. Okay, rant over. I hope this helps anyone who is having issues.

JoeJoe likes this.